"British people made calls with national and international- fixed line for around 35 billion minutes in 1995, which was at least 17 times the..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
"British people made calls with national and international- fixed line for around 35 billion minutes in 1995, which was at least 17 times the figure for mobile phones in that year."

"The total minutes of calls made using national and international-fixed lines then rose gradually to just above 60 in 2002, but the figure for mobiles escalated to over 40 billion minutes at the end of the period after witnessing a slight but steady increase to roughly 13 billion minutes in 1999. "

1) Is it grammatical to use "which" to modify a slightly far away noun, as I did in the first sentence ?

2) Is the second sentence grammatically correct?

3) I used "calls made using ..." and "calls made with..." in those sentences. Do they have the same meaning, and are both correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not really clear what you're trying to say. I'm going to try and simplify it. Tell me if I've got the right idea.

In 1995, British people made 35 billion minutes of landline calls (national and international). That was 17 times the number of mobile calls they made that year. However, by 1999, mobile calls accounted for 13 billion minutes. By 2002, landline calls amounted to 60 billion minutes but mobile calls hit 40 billion minutes that year.

1. "Which" is OK where it is in your version.
2. It's grammatically correct but it's messy, especially jumping from 1995 to 2002 and then back to 1999.
3. Both "calls made using a landline/mobile" and "calls made a landline/mobile" are possible. However, as you can see from my précis above, it's more natural to use "landline calls" and "mobile calls".

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
I'm not really clear what you're trying to say. I'm going to try and simplify it. Tell me if I've got the right idea.

In 1995, British people made 35 billion minutes of landline calls (national and international). That was 17 times the figure for mobile calls they made that year. However, by 1999, mobile calls accounted for 13 billion minutes. By 2002, landline calls amounted to 60 billion minutes but mobile calls hit 40 billion minutes that year.

1. "Which" is OK where it is in your version.
2. It's grammatically correct but it's messy, especially jumping from 1995 to 2002 and then back to 1999.
3. Both "calls made using a landline/mobile" and "calls made a landline/mobile" are possible. However, as you can see from my précis above, it's more natural to use "landline calls" and "mobile calls".
Apart from that change I made, our sentences have exactly the same meaning. But I was advised to use advanced/ complex structures, so right now I try to put much information in my sentences.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I use complex structures only when it comes naturally.

ELS learners often bite off more than they can chew, using sentences that are confusing. I often advise them to write shorter, simpler sentences. (You have to walk before you can run.)

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
2) An English teacher and IELTS tutor.
I am surprised they advise you to make your sentences complex/complicated. I don't think examiners would be impressed with "style over clarity".

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
I am surprised they advise you to make your sentences complex/complicated. I don't think examiners would be impressed with "style over clarity".
I get what you are saying, but I think that long sentence(the one I posted) is not difficult to understand; the idea in the sentence was clear

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I get what you are saying, but I think that long sentence(the one I posted) is not difficult to understand; the idea in the sentence was clear
It is not very clear and takes some time to figure out. There are three variables. The year should be have been written first, followed by number of calls using landline, then the number using mobile. emsr2d2's rewrite using shorter sentences is clearer.
Long sentences are not better than short ones.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
It is not very clear and takes some time to figure out. There are three variables. The year should be have been written first, followed by number of calls using landline, then the number using mobile. emsr2d2's rewrite using shorter sentences is clearer.
Long sentences are not better than short ones.
Is this what you mean?

"By 2002, the total minutes of calls made using national and international-fixed lines had risen gradually to just above 60, but the figure for mobiles had escalated to over 40 billion minutes after witnessing a slight but steady increase to roughly 13 billion minutes in 1999."

Status
Not open for further replies.