Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Hi,
I am struggling with my european accent. I want to sound more like British instead of eastern european. I have found accent tutor but I have to save up some money to start being taught by him. I don't want to waste my time, so I would like to get some theory information. What books would you recommend to me?
I have found this one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Work-your-...8047301&sr=8-1&keywords=british+pronunciation
It has very good reviews. What do you think? Should I choose this one, or would you consider anything else?

edit: I also have found that website with a few books which are recommended
https://improveyouraccent.co.uk/books/

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
First, you should be clear whether your aim is simply to improve your pronunciation, or to reduce your accent. They are not exactly the same thing.

BDX777

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Are they similar? I thought correct pronunciation is part of reduce accent?
So what does mean accent reduce? Isn't it correct way of pronounce?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
So what does mean accent reduce? Isn't it correct way of pronounce?

No. Correct pronunciation is about speaking clearly and intelligibly regardless of accent, without causing any distraction to the listener. In English, this is achieved mostly through stress and intonation.

Everybody, including native speakers, has an accent. An accent is essentially the way that certain vowel sounds are produced (in foreign accents typically also consonants). When we talk of accent 'reduction', we are talking about a drift towards a standard, which in British English is usually what we call RP.

Anyway, until your English is at a higher level, my advice to you is to focus on grammar, vocabulary, and general pronunciation. Don't worry about sounding Polish.

BDX777

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
No. Correct pronunciation is about speaking clearly and intelligibly regardless of accent, without causing any distraction to the listener. In English, this is achieved mostly through stress and intonation.

Everybody, including native speakers, has an accent. An accent is essentially the way that certain vowel sounds are produced (in foreign accents typically also consonants). When we talk of accent 'reduction', we are talking about a drift towards a standard, which in British English is usually what we call RP.

Anyway, until your English is at a higher level, my advice to you is to focus on grammar, vocabulary, and general pronunciation. Don't worry about sounding Polish.

Okay so, I would like to "learn" British English accent which is called RP
Which book would you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.