[General] broad world outlook (expression)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello.

Can I say "I have a broad world outlook"? Does it make any sense? If it doesn't, I'll be happy to hear a natural expression.
And one more question: I'm a miscellaneous person. Does it make any sense as well?

Thanks.

I am not sure about "broad world outlook." What do you mean exactly?

I would not describe myself as "miscellaneous." "Miscellaneous" is usually used after people categorize things and are left with items that they can not easily categorize, so they lump them all together as "Misc." That is, rather than describing something, it is almost declaring that there is no good description.

I mean that I have a lot of interests and they are quite remote from each other (math and linguistics). My dictionary (Russian-English) says it's board-minded.

I mean that I have a lot of interests and they are quite remote from each other
Is it correct to say "My interests are very diverse"── quoted from my Oxford dictionary.

Not a teacher.

I mean that I have a lot of interests and they are quite remote from each other (math and linguistics). My dictionary (Russian-English) says it's board-minded.

That is not correct. I would say you have diverse interests, or a wide array of interests.

Someone who is "broad minded" is open to new thoughts or to consider the arguments of others. "Narrow minded" is the opposite, someone who is set in their ideas and will not give any thought to new things or the opinions of others.

Then I can say: "I have a wide array of interests (or diverse interests). Do you have an adjective that means the same thing?
Thanks.

P.S I knew that it wasn't correct, that's why I'd never looked up words there :) except this time.

Does "encompassing interests" work?

"A broad spectrum of interests"── quoted from my Oxford dictionary again.

Not a teacher.

I'd never looked up words there :) except this time.
Why don't you look up words in dictionaries?

Try:

I have a wide scope of interests.

--lotus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back