"By 2010, the road that was close to the school had been extended to the east, joining to the short road in front of the lake in the eastern part."..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
"By 2010, the road that was close to the school had been extended to the east, joining to the short road in front of the lake in the eastern part."

"The trees in the west side of the town were chopped to provide space for the sports ground and university, and railway station, which were situated just north and south of the main road respectively"

Source: me

1) In the first sentence, did I use the participle phrase correctly?
2) Is it grammatical to use more than one "and", as I did in the second sentence?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

"By In 2010, the road (was there only one road?) that was close to near the school had been was extended to the east eastwards joining to to join the short road in front of the lake in the eastern part."

"The trees in on the west side of the town were chopped to provide space cleared to make way for the sports ground and university, and railway station, which were (how many railway stations are there?) situated just north and south of the main road respectively"

Source: me

2) Is it grammatical to use more than one "and", as I did in the second sentence?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
By 2010, the road that was close to the school had been extended to the east, joining to the short road in front of the lake in the eastern part.
The trees in the west side of the town were chopped down to provide space for the sports ground, and university, and railway station, which were situated just north and south of the main road respectively.

Yes.

See above. The norm is to list the items and put "and" before the last.
Otherwise, your text is fine.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
There was just one railway station.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
You wrote "By 2010". Was the road construction work carried out in 2010 or earlier?

Status
Not open for further replies.