Member Type
Other
Native Language
French
Home Country
Mauritius
Current Location
Mauritius
Can an english alphabet letter be used as a word in a sentence? For example ,I quote a sentence from Oxford advanced learner's dictionary " There are three b's in bubble" . I think here the letter b is used as a word of only one letter.The same dictionary qualifies a letter as a noun.Besides , is a noun a made-up word?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: Vocabulary

Can an English alphabet letter be used as a word in a sentence?

Yes. The dictionary example clearly shows that.

Besides, is a noun a made-up word?

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking what a noun is?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

,I quote a sentence from Oxford advanced learner's dictionary " There are three b's in bubble" .
You have been told two or three times already how to punctuate such sentences. Please try to follow advice we give here.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Can [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE] a letter from the English alphabet [STRIKE]letter[/STRIKE] be used as a word in a sentence? For example, [STRIKE]I quote[/STRIKE] here is a sentence from the Oxford Advanced Learner's dictionary:

"There are three b's in bubble."

I think [STRIKE]here[/STRIKE] the letter b is used as a word of only one letter. space after a full stop The same dictionary qualifies a letter as a noun. space after a full stop Besides, is a noun a made-up word?

Please note my corrections above. We seem to be making the same corrections in all your posts. Are you reading our responses? Are you taking any notice of them? Are we wasting our time?

Here are some basic rules of written English:
- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with one appropriate punctuation mark.
- Do not put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Do not put a space after opening quotation marks.
- Do not put a space before closing quotation marks.

Please post a response in this thread to show us that you have read our responses and that you are going to try very hard to follow those rules from now on.

A single letter can be a noun when that letter is used to denote a letter of the alphabet.

Paramah Sungelee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
French
Home Country
Mauritius
Current Location
Mauritius

I wish to know whether a noun in the dictionary is a made-up word.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I wish to know whether a noun in the dictionary is a made-up word.

No. Dictionaries contain real words. A made-up word is one that you invent, has no definition and is not used in the relevant language. Did you read the rest of my post above?
Can you see the "Thank" and "Like" buttons in the bottom left-hand corner of our responses?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

I think you mean to ask this: Can we consider made-up words to be nouns?

So for example, in the sentence 'Abcdefghijk' is a made-up word, can we label Abcdefghijk as a noun? Is that your question? If so, please tell us why you want to know this.

Last edited:

Paramah Sungelee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
French
Home Country
Mauritius
Current Location
Mauritius
Vocabulary

For example, here is a sentence from the Oxford Advance Learner's dictionary: " There are three b's in bubble." . In this sentence the letter b is used as word. However, I write a sentence. My sentence is " You write b, c, f , g , h , j , k , l , m , p , q , s , v , x and z . " . Does my sentence contain made-up word?

Note from mod: this post was merged into this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paramah Sungelee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
French
Home Country
Mauritius
Current Location
Mauritius

No. I don't want to know if " abcdefghijk" is a made-up word.What I wish to know is whether the following sentence " You write b , c , f , g , h , j , k , l , m , p , q , s , v , x and z." contains made-up word. Thanks for your help.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

To Paramah,

Can you see the "Thank" and "Like" buttons in the bottom left-hand corner of our responses?
Please post a response in this thread to show us that you have read our responses and that you are going to try very hard to follow those rules from now on.
(emsr2d2)

I hope you'll understand that b, c, f, g, h, j, k, l, m, p, q, s, v, x and z are letters.
They are not words.

Last edited:

Paramah Sungelee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
French
Home Country
Mauritius
Current Location
Mauritius

Now it is clear to me thanks a lot. I am not using a computer , I'm using a mobile phone. That's why I sometimes make spacing mistakes.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Now it is clear to me. Thanks a lot. I am not using a computer, I'm using a mobile phone. That's why I sometimes make spacing mistakes.

You just need to read your posts very carefully before you submit them. You can check on your mobile screen to make sure you have used the correct spacing. It takes a little more time but it saves a lot of work in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.