Can I say at the foot mountains for this complex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Can I say this complex is "at the foot of mountains"? Can those be called "mountains" or should I call them hills?

3456.jpg

Is this okay?

The magnificent complex was constructed at the foot of the Zagros Mountains near modern-day Shiraz.

This is another photo from the complex:

west_view.jpg

Another angle:

Persepolis (Iran) Vacation Travel Video Guide - YouTube — Mozilla Firefox 8_24_2022 3_28_10 PM.jpg

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If they're officially called The Zagros Mountains, why wouldn't you call them mountains?

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
If they're officially called The Zagros Mountains, why wouldn't you call them mountains?
You mean like this ?

The magnificent complex was constructed at the foot of the Zagros mountains near modern-day Shiraz.

Is that okay?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Pay attention to emsr2d2's capitalisation.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The magnificent complex was constructed at the foot of The Zagros mountains near modern-day Shiraz.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The magnificent complex was constructed at the foot of The Zagros Mountains near modern-day Shiraz.
I don't think they are tall enough to be considered mountains, but that's their name. So go with the flow.
😊

Peedeebee

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
If you live in North America, or Central Asia you will find it hilarious that in Britain we have "The Peak District". Most of its "peaks" are less than 600 metres high. The small town Chapel en le Frith, "In The High Peak" is at an altitude of 219 metres.
Having said that, the tops are high enough for there to be a distinct category of vegetation, for the weather to change abruptly from Summer to bleak Autumn at a moment's notice, and for there to be several Mountain Rescue Teams in the Peak District and elsewhere in the North of England, rescuing people who really do get into difficulties on the "mountains".
Go to the Lake District and you find a peak of 978 metres. Wow! Now that's what we call a mountain, (in Britain).
You work with what you've got.

Peedeebee

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Zagros Mountains: 4469 metres...... (I had to look it up)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The magnificent complex was constructed at the foot of the Zagros mountains near modern-day Shiraz.
The magnificent complex was constructed at the foot of The Zagros mountains near modern-day Shiraz.
This should demonstrate how frustrating it can be for teachers when learners ignore our advice. Not only did you fail to follow the capitalisation in my first response, you then proceeded to get it wrong again even after Rover had reminded you.
If I had one wish in this world, it would be that learners would slow down, take the time to really read our responses, and then make sure they read everything at least twice before posting a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.