Can I use a /ʃ/ sound instead of /ʧ/ in "lunch time"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fruitninja

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
United States
As far as I know, depending on the dialect, people may use /ʧ/ or /ʃ/ for words like "chicago", "actually". I found it difficult to pronounce the word "lunch time" smoothly with a /ʧ/ sound, because of 2 adjacent stop-plosives (/ʧ/ and /t/). So in this case, can I use a /ʃ/ instead of /ʧ/?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
As far as I know, depending on the dialect, people may use /ʧ/ or /ʃ/ for words like "Chicago",
I've never heard "Chicago" pronounced with /ʧ/.

"actually".
That's possible.

I found it difficult to pronounce the word "lunch time" smoothly with a /ʧ/ sound, because of 2 adjacent stop-plosives (/ʧ/ and /t/). So in this case, can I use a /ʃ/ instead of /ʧ/?
No, you shouldn't. Instead slow down your pronunciation of such phrases and even start by pronouncing them as two separate words. With some practice and patience, you should be able to get the hang of it.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree with you (and disagree with post #2 above) about lunch time, when speaking at a normal speed.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You will be understood fine if you pronounce lunch time as you suggest. I find it practically impossible to do so, though!

Another challenging phrase is orange juice. If you pronounce this like oranjuice, you will be understood with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.