Can we use "used to" to talk about states and features that haven't changed so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Can we use "used to" to talk about states and features that haven't changed so far?

Hi
In the course book in order to teach the students "used to" and "would", it has the learners talk about their old school days. Something like: my teacher used to be understanding, she used to wear black tops. I wonder if we can still see that teacher who is still teaching and who is still famous for being understanding and wearing black tops, can we use this structure for her?
Suppose the students in my class want to talk about their last term teacher (last month), can they say she used to wear glasses, she used to punish the students, likewise this term as well.

Thanks a lot.

Re: Can we use "used to" to talk about states and features that haven't changed so fa

'Used to' has the implication that the situation referred to is no longer true. It is not appropriate in the contexts you mention.

Re: Can we use "used to" to talk about states and features that haven't changed so fa

'Used to' has the implication that the situation referred to is no longer true. It is not appropriate in the contexts you mention.

Thanks. So when the students are supposed to make sentences about their old school day with used to like: my teacher used to do this and that, it should mean the learners aren't in touch with their teachers and they don't know whether they are likewise so or not?

Thanks.

Don't assume too much. If I say, "My French teacher used to wear bow ties", all we know is that this was the situation at the time spoken of. It may be that my (present) French teacher no longer wears bow ties or that I no longer know what the French teacher wears. It may be that my (former) French teacher no longer teaches, or is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back