Can you 'cuss' in other variants of English?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
An unrelated thread mentioned the word 'cursing' in the context of uttering profanities.

It's fairly common in at least some parts of the US to hear 'cuss' instead of 'curse' in that context.

I'm actually far more likely to use 'cuss' instead 'curse', at least in speaking. I can't recall whether I've ever had occasion to refer to the process in writing, so I'm not sure what I'd write. I'm just curious if 'cuss' is distinctly AmE or not, and if it even exists in other variants of English.

What say you?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I know and understand the word but, in BrE, we use "swear" (in both writing and speaking) much more than "curse", and almost never use "cuss".

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Although Canadian English is very close to American I think few of us would use the word cuss. We're far more likely to call it swearing or using profanity.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I say "curse". Example: I curse the computer when I think it screwed me over.
😊

Lycidas

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I used "cuss" more as a kid than I do now. Now I'd be more likely to say "Does Gus swear?" than "Does Gus cuss?"

The OED does not say that "cuss" (as an intransitive verb meaning "curse" or "swear") is regional in any way. Indeed, there is even an example from Thackeray:

1849 W. M. Thackeray Pendennis (1850) I. xiii. 115 Dammin and cussin up stairs and down stairs.

On the other hand, the OED does list the phrasal verb "cuss someone out" ("He cussed me out") as "originally and chiefly U.S."

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I believe "cuss" is also used in Caribbean English but I'm not really sure. I think of it as primarily American.

Ms. Worth

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's been my observation that "cuss" is a regionalism or the southern or western US.
But it's often used consciously, not just as an unthinking part of one's ordinary vocabulary.

In that case, it is used jocularly and also as a softener, to lighten up the word "curse."
"Curse" can carry the connotation of "putting a curse on someone," a permanent magic spell with power and violent intent.
> In the fairy tale, because she wasn't invited to the baby's christening, the wicked witch put a curse on the baby -- that she would always tell the truth but that no one would believe her.
> The angry preacher put a curse on sinners, damning them all to hell.
> Franklin's business rival cursed his cargo ship to sink to the bottom of the sea.
> The inscriptionn on the Pharoah's tomb laid a curse on anyone who tried to enter.

Used to soften that dire resonance, "cuss" is less intense and dramatic. It often has a touch of humor.
"Cussing" someone is more like "fussing" (another regionalism) and squabbling,and calling people dirty names -- but not damning them to hell.
> The neighbors set to cussing and fussing over the fence between their back yards.
> Freddie cussed a blue streak when he dropped his whole cask of beer and it broke open.
> Donald cussed out his dog for eating his sandwich and cussed out his horse for kicking him. Then he cussed out his hat for blowing right off his head.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.