Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.
What is the correct way of asking a question about this statement 'I can't work because of a headache'? 'Can't you work because of a headache'?

Hello.
What is the correct way of asking a question about this statement: 'I can't work because I have headache'? 'Why can't you work? Do you have a headache?'
Often, we'd just ask "Why can't you work?" then wait for the answer: "I have a headache."

Often, we'd just ask "Why can't you work?" then wait for the answer: "I have a headache."

So in English you don't mention a possible reason in your question. It is not natural.

So in English you don't mention a possible reason in your question. It is not natural.

It's not that it's not natural. If we suspect we know the reason, we might mention it. If my friend had had a bad cold for a week and then told me she wasn't going to work this morning, I might say "Is that because of your cold?" or "Is your cold still too bad for you to go to work?"
If I simply knew that someone wasn't going to work, I'd just ask "Why aren't you going to work?"

It's not that it's not natural. If we suspect we know the reason, we might mention it. If my friend had had a bad cold for a week and then told me she wasn't going to work this morning, I might say "Is that because of your cold?" or "Is your cold still too bad for you to go to work?"
If I simply knew that someone wasn't going to work, I'd just ask "Why aren't you going to work?"
Exactly!

It's possible to ask "Can you not work because of a headache?" It's awkward, though, and people will usually find a clearer way to ask the question.

It's possible to ask "Can you not work because of a headache?" It's awkward, though, and people will usually find a clearer way to ask the question.
And the answer could be "Well, I can try not to work for that reason. How do I get a headache?"

What is the correct way of asking a question about this statement 'I can't work because of a headache'? 'Can't you work because of a headache'?

You can say, "Is it because you have a headache that you can't work?"

That is a question formed from a cleft sentence. It presupposes that the addressee can't work and speculates as to the possible reason. Compare:

"Is the reason you can't work that you have a headache?"

You can say, "Is it because you have a headache that you can't work?" This is exactly what I was looking for.

That is a question formed from a cleft sentence. It presupposes that the addressee can't work and speculates as to the possible reason. Compare:

"Is the reason you can't work that you have a headache?"
Do you mean this example is not correct?

No. "Is the reason you can't work that you have a headache?" is correct, too.

Rachel, what's the beauty of a headache excuse?
:)

Do you mean this example is not correct?
It's correct but not natural. These examples are more conversational:

- Why can't you work? Have a headache?
- What's wrong? Another headache?
- What's the matter? Having another one of those headaches?

Charlie's examples are all conversational but, in case the nuance doesn't come through to a non-native speaker, the second and third sound a little sarcastic. I automatically read them in a tone of voice that suggests that I think the person has a headache rather more often than might be entirely believable.

Last edited:
Charlie's examples are all conversational but, in case the nuance doesn't come through to a non-native speaker, the second and third sound a little sarcastic. I automatically read them in a tone of voice that suggests that I think the person has a headache rather more often than might be entirely believable.

I got it. In Russian almost the same constructions are used when expressing sarcasm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back