Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

In this exercise from Michael Vince's English Grammar in Context in d should it be 'Capulet doesn't allow' or 'don't allow'? With the word 'family' either a plural or a singular verb can be used but are they talking about the family or Tybalt?

116614764_3658160670863917_1093894717688920663_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Capulet is the name of the head of the family. Capulet doesn't allow this.

With 'The Capulets' should I use 'don't' or 'doesn't'?

What do you think? Is "Capulets" singular or plural?

It's plural of course but I read in my textbook that when talking about a family either a singular or a plural can be used. Maybe it is correct when the word 'family' itself is present. Is it?

Adding the word "family" would certainly make a difference, but in that case the surname wouldn't be pluralised.

The Capulets ...
The Capulet family ...

Adding the word "family" would certainly make a difference, but in that case the surname wouldn't be pluralised.

The Capulets ...
The Capulet family ...

The Capulets are. Only 'are'.
The Capulet family is/are. Am I right?

The Capulets are. Only 'are'.
The Capulet family is/are. Am I right?
In the US: is. (A family is a single unit.)

In the UK: are. (A family is more than one person.)

It can also be a single unit in BrE.
You know, I've heard that. In English classes, we were always told it was always plural in British English.

But what do English teachers know?

It can also be a single unit in BrE.

My book says all the words are used with either a singular or a plural verb: 'group', 'class', 'company', 'crowd', 'crew'. English Grammar by a Georgian author.

In English classes, we were always told it was always plural in British English.
When it comes to English usage, never say 'never' and never say 'always'—somebody will be sure to come along with an exception.

My book says all these words are used with either a singular or a plural verb: 'group', 'class', 'company', 'crowd', 'crew'. English Grammar by a Georgian author.
See above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back