Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi there. Would you please proofread the following text? Any help would be appreciated.

Yang knocked on the door of Qingmei’s home. Qingmei, opening the door, took in all the details within seconds. The neatly folded cloth with beautiful embroidery showing prominently, his best clothes and clean appearance, his combed hair, his serious expression, and she knew what he was about to do. Qingmei tried to meet the circumstances and spoke almost formally. “Welcome, Yang, what brings you here?” Then she whispered. “You should have warned me. Oh my god, Yang. Why didn’t you warn me?”

Yang whispered back. “My father put his foot down. I’ll tell you everything, later. Please, introduce me to your parents before I evaporate, and the wind carries me off." Then he spoke loud and clear. "I am here to speak to your parents.”

Qingmei said, “Welcome, Yang. My parents are in the living room. Follow me.”

Her parents, having heard his arrival, were standing when he entered the living room. Qingmei said, “Mother, Father, this is Yang, son of Gan. He wishes to speak with you.”

Yang stepped forward and bowed deeply. He held out the tablecloth which Qingmei took and handed to her mother. “A small gift, from my family, and a request. We would be honoured if you would allow your daughter to dine with us on the evening of fifth-day.”

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

He spoke loudly and clearly.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You have me hooked. I'm looking forward to the next scene.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Say:

He spoke loudly and clearly.

Yeah. You are right. If it's an advertisement or training manual or similar, I should use 'loud and clear'. If it's writing that is more formal, I should use 'loudly and clearly'. Actually, I realize that I would try to avoid it or just use one of the words: Speak loudly. Speak clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.