Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Happy Singlehood: The Rising Acceptance and Celebration of Solo Living
Paperback – Illustrated, February 26, 2019
Happy Singlehood charts a way forward for singles to live life on their own terms, and shows how everyone - single or coupled - can benefit from accepting solo living.

Source: Amazon (No link attached, so as to avoid the suspicion of advertising)

I fail to feel whether "solo living" is very formal in English or not. It seems to be that "staying single" is too casual to be used here.
By "solo living" might not be as formal as "singlehood", I am not sure. "Solo" might sound humorous, I am not sure.

The question here is: Is "solo living" very formal in English?

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't quite know what you mean by 'formal' or why you're asking that.

The phrase 'solo living' is a term recently coined to refer to a certain new kind of modern lifestyle. When a new thing comes along, it needs a new term.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I guess by "I fail to feel whether" that you mean "I don't know if". What's solo living? It's living alone. Somebody invented a new word for it.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
To go solo is to do something alone, hence "to live solo"(verb) and "solo living" (noun). There's nothing informal or humorous about it.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Elyakim Kislev, who holds a Ph.D. in sociology from Columbia University and three master's degrees in counseling, sociology, and public policy.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I guess by "I fail to feel whether" that you mean "I don't know if". What's solo living? It's living alone. Somebody inventory a new word for it.
By "I fail to feel whether", I meant that the meaning is clear, but whether the tone is serious or rigorous in a scholarly way, I wasn't sure - I couldn't feel. A phrase like "staying alone" sounds casual and I can feel its casualty.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Elyakim Kislev, who holds a Ph.D. in sociology from Columbia University and three master's degrees in counseling, sociology, and public policy.
We require only the name of the author (and the title of the work), thank you.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
By "I fail to feel whether", I meant that the meaning is clear, but whether the tone is serious or rigorous in a scholarly way, I wasn't sure - I couldn't feel. A phrase like "staying alone" sounds casual and I can feel its casualty.
"I fail to feel" is incorrect. I think you mean you don't know whether the phrase "solo living" is formal or informal.
Do you mean "casualty" or "casualness"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One, it was supposed to be "invented". (I'm going to have to be more careful.)

Two, as was already noted, it's not meant humorously. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you mean by that. I recommend that you not get in the habit of using "fail to feel".