[General] change + singular or plural noun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heidi L

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
"When Will was sent away to school, he got into trouble several times because he liked to play with his rope. After he roped a teacher, he had to change schools."

I was told that the reason for using the plural schools is that Will had changed to a new school from a old one, so there were two schools.

But when I looked up the dictionary
(http://learnsdictionary.com/definition/change)

- change a baby = change a baby's diaper = remove a baby's dirty diaper and replace it with a clean one

- The leaves change color from green to red in the fall.

Either diaper or color used was singular, so, after the verb change, should I use a singular or plural noun?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Change partner would be incorrect, so I can't agree that it doesn't matter. Use the plural in change schools, too. This is a different usage from change the baby, which means change the baby's diaper. In change schools, you mean change to a different school.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I was told that the reason for using the plural schools is that Will had changed to a new school from the old one, so there were two schools.
That's right, and that's the rule you should generally follow if two things are involved.

But when I looked up the dictionary
(http://learnsdictionary.com/definition/change)

- change a baby = change a baby's diaper = remove a baby's dirty diaper and replace it with a clean one
That's a different meaning/use of the verb "change". Here, you are not swapping babies.

- The leaves change color from green to red in the fall.
That's an exception to the rule above.

Status
Not open for further replies.