Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
GPT-3, with 175 billion parameters, has taken language models to a whole new level, generating text that is almost indistinguishable from human-written content, and GPT-4 promises to totally change the game understanding more than text, such as images.

Source: A Brief History of The Generative Pre-trained Transformer (GPT) Language Models

I understand "the game" here as "the object of pursuit". Am I on the right track?

That is, "change the game understanding more than text, such as images." means changing the way of understanding images when the object of the interest is images. I am not sure.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
To be honest, there seems to be a problem with that part of the sentence. Perhaps a comma or a dash should have been used, as in 'GPT-4 promises to totally change the game, understanding more than text, such as images' or 'GPT-4 promises to totally change the game - understanding more than text, such as images'.

Last edited:

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The phrasing "promises to totally change the game" appears to have a sense of "promises to become a game changer"... I am not very sure.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
To be honest, there seems to be a problem with that part of the sentence.

Agreed.

The phrasing "promises to totally change the game" appears to have a sense of "promises to become a game changer"... I am not very sure.

Yes, that's the intended idiom. It's going to be a game changer. The part after 'change the game' is a mess, so don't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.