Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
No. It doesn't tell us who's doing the impaling.

So, name + the adjective/noun does does function as a complex name, but name + the v-ing doesn't. It's not quite clear to me why.

No. The agentive sense (the sense that the nickname says what the person does) is typically expressed with the suffix -er, (or variant -or), and not -ing.

To my ear, Typically doesn't suggest a strong prohibition on the suffix -ing. But your No sounds quite strong.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Okay, I'll retract typically, if it helps. Like I said, the agentive sense is expressed with a noun, by the noun suffix -er/-or.

If you can find any counter examples, which I highly doubt you will, I'll reinsert the typically.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Okay, I'll retract typically, if it helps. Like I said, the agentive sense is expressed with a noun, by the noun suffix -er/-or.

If you can find any counter examples, which I highly doubt you will, I'll reinsert the typically.

There are no such examples in the list you gave me the link to before. I bow my knee before you, Jutfrank the All-Knowing. Or All-Knower? :)

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Charles the Simple consists of the proper name Charles and the nickname the Simple (adjective).

The whole thing is his nickname.

It can be anything depending on the context, for example Charles the Green-Eyed Devil.

Nothing needed to be added. Also, your word changes the meaning.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.