Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
According to Longman Dictionary,

chink (British English) - if glass or metal objects chink, or if you chink them, they make a high ringing sound when they knock together: They chinked their glasses and drank a toast to the couple.

Could you please tell me how you'd say it in American English? I assume "clink" might work but something tells me wines glasses don't really "clink" but metal spoons, forks and knives do.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You're liable to be thought of as using an ethnic slur if you say "chink" in America.
Yes, a slur, but as a noun with regard to a person.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
People have gotten in hot water for saying "chink in the armor" or using the word "niggardly," so I would not expect reason or context to stop the politically correct word police. Hence, the advice to avoid the word for a language learner.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
People have gotten in hot water for saying "chink in the armor" or using the word "niggardly," so I would not expect reason or context to stop the politically correct word police. Hence, the advice to avoid the word for a language learner.
"Chink in the armor" does not suggest any racial or ethnic slur. Rather it refers, for example, to one's quality or vulnerability.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Chink in the armor" does not suggest any racial or ethnic slur. Rather it refers, for example, to one's quality or vulnerability.

I know that and you know that. But the politically correct word police do not know that. Or care to, if they can browbeat someone on the wrong "side" of a political divide.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Regretfully (I have strong thoughts on this, not dissimilar to those of SD) I must suggest that we leave the topic of political correctness now. We don't want to get into politics in this forum.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Suffice it to say that the political sphere in the USA is highly polarized and as a result plenty of absurd things are said on all sides. I'll shut up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.