Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi!
I did such a question, and it gose like this:
"After the guests left, she spend hald an hour ____ the sitting room."
A. ordering B. arranging C. tidying up D. clearing away

I picked C and its was corrrect, but after search the meaning of clear away, I still don't know why it is wrong.
So is there any slight difference between these two phrases? How can I correctly distinguish them in the exam?

Ps:
the meaning of clear up : to make a place look tidier by removing things or putting things back where they belong
tidy up: to make a place look tidy

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi!
I did such found a test a question (source required), and it gose goes like this:

"After the guests left, she spend hald half an hour ____ the sitting room."
A. ordering
B. arranging
C. tidying up
D. clearing away

I picked C and its it was corrrect correct, but after searching for the meaning of "clear away", I still don't know why it is wrong.
So Is there any slight a difference between these two phrases? How can I correctly distinguish between them in the an exam?

Ps:
PS: The meaning of "clear up": to make a place look tidier by removing things or putting things back where they belong
tidy up: to make a place look tidy
Please note my corrections and comments above. Please make sure you provide the source and author of the question. You can either edit post #1 to add the information or provide it in a response to this post.

"Clearing away" doesn't work because that refers to the specific items that you pick up and move during the process. You can clear away plates, cups, cutlery, books, toys etc, but you can't clear away a sitting room - that would suggest you picked up the sitting room and moved it.
If D had been "clearing up", it would have worked.

Tidying up = clearing up
Neither of them mean the same as "clearing away".

Shiyuan

Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Please note my corrections and comments above. Please make sure you provide the source and author of the question. You can either edit post #1 to add the information or provide it in a response to this post.

"Clearing away" doesn't work because that refers to the specific items that you pick up and move during the process. You can clear away plates, cups, cutlery, books, toys etc, but you can't clear away a sitting room - that would suggest you picked up the sitting room and moved it.
If D had been "clearing up", it would have worked.

Tidying up = clearing up
Neither of them mean the same as "clearing away".
Thank you soooo much for your correction! I made a lot of careless spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes in this paragraph.:cry:
And the test is from the Inner Mongolia University's postgraduate examination in 2011.

Thank you very much!

Best wishes!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you soooo so much for your corrections! I made a lot of careless spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes in this that paragraph post.:cry:

And The test is from the Inner Mongolia University's postgraduate examination in of 2011.

Thank you very much! Unnecessary repetition

Best wishes! Unnecessary
Thank you for providing the source. From now on, you should simply click on the "Thank" icon (found by hovering over the "Like" button) whenever you want to thank someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.