Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Would you please correct the mistakes in my text?

"If you told me you were broke, I'd lend you money," Kevin said. "I don't understand why did you go to Stephen? Now the whole town will know you're skint. He is such a gossip."

"I didn't want to bother you," Clive said. "Honestly, I was ashamed to ask you for a loan. You helped me so many times in the past, and I don't like to pester people for anything."

"Don't think about that. We've known each other for years. You're like a brother to me. I know how it feels when you're broke or homeless. I had been on hard times and know that when you're in need people run away from you as if you were a mangy dog. They avoid looking at you as if you are going to infect them with your misery just by your presence."

"Why don't you like Stephen?"

Kevin sniggered. "He is the stingiest person I ever met in my life. You know, when we were at university, we shared a flat for a couple of months. Stephen had a notebook in which he wrote down every single penny he spent. One day, his girlfriend wanted them to buy a love padlock to lock it on a bridge, and Stephen told her it was unnecessary. No wonder she ran away from him. He not only used to squeeze a toothpaste from the back to the front, until he couldn't squeeze more, but he then cut it, and with his brush scrubbed the last bit of it. The first time I saw him doing that, I wanted to spew. You can buy him dozens of drinks, and he will just walk away and never offer to buy you anything. He was married twice, and both women left him because they couldn't stand his stinginess. One of them told me Stephen had forbidden her to buy fresh flowers because they'd be thrown away after a couple of days. Such waste! he told her. Can you imagine living with such a man?"

"I don't know him so well. I talked to him a few times. He seems to be a decent man."

"Of course he is, but I hate penny-pinching people," Kevin said. "What is he going to do with all his money? He doesn't even go on holiday abroad because he thinks it's waste of money. Would you believe me if I told you he spends summer after summer on our river and plays volleyball with children because that's for free. But he'd never dream of buying them some ice cream."

"I'm getting thirsty," Clive said. "Shell we go to a pub for beer?"

"Of course, mate. It's my treat."

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Would you please correct the mistakes in my text?

"If you told me you were broke, I'd lend you money," Kevin said. "I don't understand. Why did you go to Stephen? Now the whole town will know you're skint. He is such a gossip."

"I didn't want to bother you," Clive said. "Honestly, I was ashamed to ask you for a loan. You helped me so many times in the past, and I don't like to pester people for anything."

"Don't think about that. We've known each other for years. You're like a brother to me. I know how it feels when you're broke or homeless. I've been on hard times and know that when you're in need people run away from you as if you were a mangy dog. They avoid looking at you as if you were going to infect them with your misery just by your presence."

"Why don't you like Stephen?"

Kevin sniggered. "He is the stingiest person I ever met in my life. You know, when we were in school, we shared a flat for a couple of months. Stephen had a notebook in which he wrote down every single penny he spent. One day, his girlfriend wanted them to buy a love padlock to lock it on a bridge, and Stephen told her it was unnecessary. No wonder she ran away from him. He not only used to squeeze a toothpaste from the back to the front, until he couldn't squeeze more, but he then cut it, and with his brush scrubbed the last bit of it. The first time I saw him doing that, I wanted to spew. You can buy him dozens of drinks, and he'll just walk away and never offer to buy you anything. He was married twice, and both women left him because they couldn't stand his stinginess. One of them told me Stephen had forbidden her to buy fresh flowers because they'd be thrown away after a couple of days. 'Such waste!' he told her. Can you imagine living with such a man?"

"I don't know him so well. I talked to him a few times. He seems to be a decent man."

"Of course he is, but I hate penny-pinching people," Kevin said. "What is he going to do with all his money? He doesn't even go on holiday abroad because he thinks it's waste of money. Would you believe me if I told you he spends summer after summer on our river and plays volleyball with children because that's for free. But he'd never dream of buying them some ice cream."

"I'm getting thirsty," Clive said. "Shell we go to a pub for beer?"

"Of course, mate. It's my treat."
Not bad!

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Charlie,

"Be at university" is BrE.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Now we all know!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The very first sentence is wrong. You've got the wrong conditional type. You need a past conditional there because Kevin is telling Clive what he should have done in the past.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"I don't understand why [STRIKE]did[/STRIKE] you [STRIKE]go[/STRIKE] went to Stephen."

You have two options for this - my version above or the version in Charlie's response.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Thank you emsr2d2,

That was exactly what I wanted to say, but was unable to write it properly.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about you've helped me so many times?

Status
Not open for further replies.