Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
According to dictionaries, 'come into money' means 'To obtain money suddenly, often through inheritance.'

Is the following definition of 'come into money' also correct?

"To come into money" is to suddenly become rich through no action of your own. Usually, it refers to an inheritance (i.e. somebody in your family dies and leaves you a lot of money in their will). However, one could also use the expression with reference to a winning lottery ticket, a lawsuit, etc."
(Source:https://www.italki.com/en/post/question-111899)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
They both say the same thing, though the second goes into more detail.

thru

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
If you have to work hard and even work overtime to make more money, can we use 'come into money' in that situation? For example,
"He has come into some extra money by working overtime.'

Does the phrase 'come into money' always imply that a person becomes rich or not necessarily?

If a person just got some more money (not much) by inheritance and the amount of money didn't make him become rich, can I still use the phrase 'come into money'?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two things. One, if you know how long it takes a civil suit to wend its way through the courts I don't think you'd say getting money that way is "sudden" at all. Two, if you worked overtime and earned more than usual then I wouldn't say that's coming into money.

For the money to make you rich that would depend on how much it is and what you think "rich" is.

thru

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
if you know how long it takes a civil suit to wend its way through the courts I don't think you'd say getting money that way is "sudden" at all.
Do you mean 'lawsuit' isn't possible to be used with 'come into money'?

Does this sentence sound natural?
'I came into some extra money by pawning my watch in order to pay my bills.'

If the speaker in the sentence above doesn't think the money he got by pawning his watch can make him rich, is it still OK to use 'come into money here?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you have to work hard and even work overtime to make more money, can we use 'come into money' in that situation? For example,
"He has come into some extra money by working overtime.'
No.
Does the phrase 'come into money' always imply that a person becomes rich or not necessarily?
The expression implies a respectable sum.
If a person just got some more money (not much) by inheritance and the amount of money didn't make him become rich, can I still use the phrase 'come into money'?
Not by itself. You'd need some qualifier such as some/a little.
Do you mean 'lawsuit' isn't possible to be used with 'come into money'?
tarheel did not say that.
Does this sentence sound natural?
'I came into some extra money by pawning my watch in order to pay my bills.'
No.
If the speaker in the sentence above doesn't think the money he got by pawning his watch can make him rich, is it still OK to use 'come into money here?
No.