Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
When answering the question "What do you eat for comfort?" Can I use "comfort food?"
"My favourite comfort food is healthy food with the necessary substances for the body. For example, oatmeal and buckwheat. It is important to exclude fried food, sugar and unhealthy fats."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, "comfort food" is the natural choice. It would make the original question more natural - "What's your [favourite] comfort food?" A native speaker is unlikely to ask "What do you eat for comfort?"

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'm not saying that use of comfort food is wrong, but comfort food usually refers to things that give us comfort because they are foods we learnt to like when our mothers gave them to us as little children.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not saying that use of comfort food is wrong, but comfort food usually refers to things that give us comfort because they are foods we learnt to like when our mothers gave them to us as little children.
My comfort foods have nothing to do with what I ate as a child. They're just things I eat when I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself or had a hard day at work etc. Sometimes it's something like a huge jacket (baked) potato with a large pile of ratatouille on top; sometimes it's a gigantic bar of chocolate!
I'm not disagreeing that some people might eat something their mum used to make but I don't agree that it means that any more than it means my definition.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree with 5jj.

(See Comfort Food by Iris Chew and Hammond Chipps.)

Status
Not open for further replies.