Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Change job is very often for everybody.
For example, Tom was a doctor past and is a scientist now.
Could we say "the scientist makes more achievement than the doctor did" to indicate "Tom makes more achievement as scientist than he did as doctor"?
If NOT, why?
Thank you!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Changing jobs is [STRIKE]very often for[/STRIKE] is something everybody does often.
I have made your sentence grammatically correct but is factually incorrect. Many people spend their entire working life in the same job.

For example, Tom [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] used to be a doctor past and is a scientist now.

[STRIKE]Could we[/STRIKE] Can I say "The scientist makes more achievement than the doctor did" to indicate "Tom [STRIKE]makes[/STRIKE] has achieved more [STRIKE]achievement[/STRIKE] as a scientist than he did as doctor"?

If [STRIKE]NOT[/STRIKE] not, why not?

[STRIKE]Thank you![/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by clicking on the "Thank" button.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my multiple corrections and comments above.

No, you can't use your suggested sentence to mean the same as the sentence starting with "Tom". "The scientist makes more achievement than the doctor did" is grammatically incorrect and means nothing. For a start, it doesn't mention "Tom" at all. Also, "makes more achievement" is incorrect.

LevyLi

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
A caterpillar tunred into a butterfly yesterday, and the butterfly is still alive.
Can we say "the butterfly looks more beautiful than the caterpillar did" to indicate "the identical animal's look in different stages"?
If not, why can we use "yesterday's weather", "today's weather" to divide weather into different stage?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not sure I understand your point entirely but "Today's weather is much better than yesterday's was" is entirely possible and uses the same structure as "The butterfly is much more beautiful than the caterpillar was".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you mean the animal's appearance?

LevyLi

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Excuse me!
I want to describe the different states of the identical entity.
For example, the animal we see is a bufferfly, but was a caterpillar yesterday.
I want to compare its look in different stages.
So I want confirm "the bufferfly looks more beautiful than the caterpillar did" is allowable?
If it is allowable, why can't we use "the boss is richer than the doctor was" to describe the richness level of the identical person for different positions?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Because when a caterpillar turns into a butterfly, the caterpillar ceases to exist. It's a natural metamorphosis. If a man decides to switch from being a doctor to being a scientist, the man doesn't cease to exist. He just changes jobs.

LevyLi

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
If the running water in the bottle was boiled yesterday, is "the boiled water contains less mineral substances than the running water was" suitble to describe the different state of specific water?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If the running water in the bottle was boiled yesterday, is "The boiled water contains less mineral substances than the running water [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] does" suitable to describe the different state of specific water?

I would stop after the words "running water" but adding "does" means it uses the same construction as the rest of the thread. However, I'm not sure I agree with your facts on this. You can only compare the mineral content of the tap water and the boiled water if you tested the exact same water before and after boiling. You can't compare a bottle of boiled water with different water even if it comes out of the same tap.

Can you explain what it is you're trying to study or exemplify with these posts?

LevyLi

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Sorry, I am confused with the function of adjectives.
I don't know if the identical entity has different states in different stages, could we use some nous or some nouns modified by adjectives to identify what is the entity in one stage and what was it in another stage?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I want to compare its [STRIKE]look[/STRIKE] appearance in different stages.
See above. Your question is confusing because you've used the wrong word.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
A caterpillar tunred into a butterfly yesterday, and the butterfly is still alive.
Can we say "the butterfly looks more beautiful than the caterpillar did" to indicate "the identical animal's look in different stages"?
If not, why can we use "yesterday's weather", "today's weather" to divide weather into different stage?

I think I understand what you're asking.

Yesterday, today and tomorrow are three different things but the caterpillar and the butterfly are two stages of the same thing. That's the difference.

LevyLi

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

Yesterday, today and tomorrow are three different things but the caterpillar and the butterfly are two stages of the same thing. That's the difference.

You got my point!
But can "The butterfly looks more beautiful than the caterpillar did" indicate the appearance of the idenica entity in different stages?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Not really, no.

LevyLi

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

Excuse me!
Why can we think yesterday's weather and today' weather are two different things instead of the two stages of the weather?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We simply don't think of it like that! What led you to start this thread? What were you studying?

LevyLi

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
We simply don't think of it like that! What led you to start this thread? What were you studying?

Sorry! Because my native language can say "current I is past you" to indicate what I do now will be what you did past,but this sentence is not read in English.
However I have seen yesterday's weather etc.
So I am confused on what condition, English native speaker can use noun phrase to indicate different stages of the same entity.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Stop thinking about what you say in your native language and concentrate on what native speakers here are telling you that we say.

LevyLi

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Stop thinking about what you say in your native language and concentrate on what native speakers here are telling you that we say.

I agree with you!
But I don't get any rule, is there any book or website which can help me?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I doubt it. You'd be looking for a very wide "rule", that would probably have so many exceptions that it wouldn't be worth learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.