Japan
What is a 'concept question'?

Thank you in advance.:-D

Last edited:
Re: CCQ's

May I ask a question here?

What is a 'concept question'?

Thank you in advance.:-D

They're questions used by teachers to check whether learners have understood the underlying idea/meaning/concept of something- if you don't know that yesterday refers to the past, you haven't fully grasped the concept.

They're questions used by teachers to check whether learners have understood the underlying idea/meaning/concept of something- if you don't know that yesterday refers to the past, you haven't fully grasped the concept.

See if my example is correct when referring to the word yesterday.

- How do you say the day before today? (perhaps this is a stupid example:oops:) Is this an example of 'concept question'?

Thanks

See if my example is correct when referring to the word yesterday.

- How do you say the day before today? (perhaps this is a stupid example:oops:) Is this an example of 'concept question'?
Not really. It's testing knowledge of the word 'yesterday'.

A CCQ for 'yesterday' might be, "Today is Monday.; and yesterday ...?". If the response is 'Sunday' then the teacher knows that the concept of 'yesterday' is clear - for the moment, at least.

Not really. It's testing knowledge of the word 'yesterday'.

A CCQ for 'yesterday' might be, "Today is Monday.; and yesterday ...?". If the response is 'Sunday' then the teacher knows that the concept of 'yesterday' is clear - for the moment, at least.

So, you mean a 'concept question' doesn't really ask for definitions of the word (or expression or sentence)?

:up: They check whether a student has understood a concept, rather than simply trotting out a dictionary definition or a grammar book's 'explanation' - which, however good, may not have been understood.

Here's another example:

S: What does 'manage' mean?
T: In what context?
S: "I managed to open the window."
T: Demonstrates trying and finally succeeding then asks these context questions: Did I try to open the window.
S: Yes
T: Was it easy?
S: No.
T: Did I succeed in the end?
S: Yes.

Some teachers try to cut corners and just provide a definition: 'When you manage to do something, you try, find it difficult, and succeed in the end.' This is tempting and much easier. But it may slip over the S's head; the S may have been day-dreaming for the crucial few seconds during which the T imparted his/her words of wisdom. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back