Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Dear All:
What is the exact meaning of "conception" in the following sentence? It is from the book Patterns in Comparative Religion by Mircea Eliade, P. 329. Does it mean "pregnancy"?

"On conception by fruit and flowers: there is a bibliography in ..."

Of course, that sentence is from a bibliography without any more information.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Dear All:
What is the exact meaning of "conception" in the following sentence? It is from the book Patterns in Comparative Religion by Mircea Eliade, P. 329. Does it mean "pregnancy"?

"On conception by fruit and flowers: there is a bibliography in ..."

Of course, that sentence is from
a bibliography without any more information.

Many thanks [STRIKE]in advance[/STRIKE].
Probably. You haven't given us a complete sentence.

But: "Of course"? I've never seen a bibliography written that way.

pars,

Please do not post the same question simultaneously to more than one forum. Doing so wastes our valuable time. Instead, post your question to one forum and wait for replies. If you're not satisfied with those replies, you can try another forum, but please indicate in your thread that you've already asked the same question elsewhere (provide a link), and outline why you were not satisfied with the answers you received already.​
(teechar)

Hi!
This is tee exact passage from which the sentence was quoted:

"On conception by fruit and flowers: there is a bilbiography in BOLTE and POLIVKA, Ammerkungen zu den Kinder- und Haus-mārchen der Brüder Grimm, Leipzig, 191 3-30, 4 vols., vol. ii, p. 125; vol. iv, p. 257; PENZER, N. M., The Pentamerone of Giambattista Basile, London, 1 932, p. 1 58 ff.; THOMPSON, Stith, Motif-Index of Folk-Literature, Helsinki, 1 935, val. v, p. 302 ff."

It is the exact passage without any mistake. I have checked it exactly and even the word "bilbiography" is so in the main book! But, seemingly there is not any helpful clue in it.

Dear Moderator:
This passage is seemingly very complicated or ambiguous, and I did not get any satisfactory result from my previous question. I am so sorry.

Yes, I think you're right. It does look like it's using conceive in the sense of beginning reproduction.

Thank you for giving us more information. Yes, the writing is unclear.

It seems to me that the author is pointing the reader to further reading on the subject of conception by fruit and flowers. If that's the case, there will probably be a reference to this subject in the main part of the book.

It does seem that there's an idea of sexual reproduction here but I can't see how to tie that in with comparative religion. You'll have to find the relevant part of the book for this to make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back