Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Imagine: the year is 2006; half of the American population believes that the universe is 6,000 years old; our president has just used his first veto to block federal funding for the world’s most promising medical research on religious grounds; and one of the foremost scientists in the land has this to say, straight from the heart (if not the brain).
Of course, once the eyes of faith have opened, confirmation can be found everywhere. Here Collins considers whether to accept the directorship of the Human Genome Project:

I spent a long afternoon praying in a little chapel, seeking guidance about this decision. I did not “hear” God speak—in fact, I’ve never had that experience. But during those hours, ending in an evensong service that I had not expected, a peace settled over me. A few days later, I accepted the offer.
Source: The moral landscape by Sam Harris

What does confirmation mean? The action of confirming? Confirming what?

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Remember to capitalise book titles correctly and put them in italics.
I knew the rules, but I posted this thread with my iPad* in which it was not very convenient to edit.
*It was very difficult to post with the iPad in the old version of UsingEnglish, but the new version has made it very easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.