Contexts where a word ending with "s" is not necessarily plural.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karsee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Setswana
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
Hello. I was just wondering about this, but would it be true to say there are contexts in which a word can end with an s, despite only referring to a single thing? For example, if I tell someone "here is a paper which lists all the countries I've visited", and only a single country is written on the paper, the initial statement still seems prima facie to not be misguiding. The point of this is that despite it being in plural form, the reference of the word is only a single object. Hopefully this question isn't silly, but i'm just curious: Do we accept the conclusion, and that a word in "plural form" can seemingly only refer to a single object (atleast within the context above), or is there a deeper grammatical flaw within the statement?

Thanks alot!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's not unusual in philosophy and mathematics to talk about having a set including only one member, so yes, you can do that too in your situation. However, in such a non-academic context, the listener would be surprised to see only one country on the list, given your misleading words 'all' and 'countries'. But I assume that's exactly why you'd want to do that, right? For some kind of comic effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.