[Vocabulary] Contrast is known by a range of terms ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikemoku

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Could anyone check whether I understand the following sentence right?

Contrast is known by a range of terms, such as variety or variation, difference, unevenness, individuality, and novelty.

I thought the sentence means that words such as variation, difference, unevenness, individuality, and novelty are used in place of the word "contrast".
Am I right?

The above sentence is from an article written by Shelley Esaak, found on the following webpage.
https://www.thoughtco.com/definition...-in-art-182430

Thank you in advance,
shikemoku

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Could anyone tell me whether I understand the following sentence [STRIKE]right[/STRIKE]?

Contrast is known by a range of terms, such as variety or variation, difference, unevenness, individuality, and novelty.

I thought the sentence means that words such as variation, difference, unevenness, individuality, and novelty are used in place of the word "contrast".

Am I right?

The words are not interchangeable, but Esaak thinks that all the words express types of contrast.

The above sentence is from an article written by Shelley Esaak, found on the following webpage.

Thank you [STRIKE]in advance[/STRIKE],
shikemoku
Hi, Shikemoku -

The moderators here like the title to show some of the phrase you're asking about about. Example: Contrast is known by a range of terms

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi, Shikemoku -

The moderators here like the title to show some of the phrase you're asking about about. Example: Contrast is known by a range of terms
Thanks, Charlie.

I've done that for you this time, Shikemoku.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Could anyone check whether I understand the following sentence right?

Am I right?

Thank you in advance,
shikemoku

No, contrast encompasses all those qualities and more. In the visual arts, there are contrasts in form, shape, colour, texture, lighting and others. The opposite of contrast is harmony. Striking a balance between contrast and harmony is often an objective of a designer, to achieve unity in diversity.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's not just a list of synonyms to me.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When you write something for people to read the last thing you want is for people to say: "What is that person trying to say?"

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
When you write something for people to read the last thing you want is for people to say: "What is that person trying to say?"

This should go alongside Orwell's guide to writing well. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.