Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I want to ask somebody to copy/write the word "post" three times. That means he needs to write "post, post, post."
I don't know how to say that in English and "copy it three times" is my inference. A similar situation is how to ask sb to type "888." Type 8 three times?
Another similar question is about jump rope. The following two expressions are my inferences.
1. do 100 jump ropes
2. jump rope 100 times

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Write the word 'post' three times.
Write the number 8 three times.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I want to ask somebody to copy/write the word "post" three times. That means he needs to write "post, post, post".
I don't know how to say that in English and but my best guess is "Copy it three times". is my inference. A similar situation is

Similarly, I'd like to know
how to ask sb somebody to type "888." Can I say "Type 8 three times"?

Another similar question is I'd like to ask the same question about jumping rope. The following two expressions are my inferences guesses.
1. Do 100 jump ropes.
2. Jump rope 100 times.
Please note my corrections above. You need to work on your use of full sentences and capitalisation. 5jj has given you the natural answer to the first two. As far as the one about jumping rope (or "skipping" in BrE), I'm really not sure how I'd tell someone they needed to complete 100 jumps/skips of a rope. It's a really odd request. I'd probably have to say something like "Start skipping and aim for 100!"

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Weightlifters have a word they use -- reps. Technically, it means "repetitions," but it refers to every one in a series.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Weightlifters have a word they use -- reps. Technically, it means "repetitions," but it refers to every one in a series.
The same goes for many fitness programs or activities, not just weightlifting.

Xixi Luo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Please note my corrections above. You need to work on your use of full sentences and capitalisation. 5jj has given you the natural answer to the first two. As far as the one about jumping rope (or "skipping" in BrE), I'm really not sure how I'd tell someone they needed to complete 100 jumps/skips of a rope. It's a really odd request. I'd probably have to say something like "Start skipping and aim for 100!"
Thanks for your corrections. I learned that a statement with a rising intonation could serve as a question. That's why I added a question mark at the end of satements. Maybe that doesn't work in written English.

Last edited:

Xixi Luo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Could you please give me some sample sentences? I wonder how to use it but failed to find some sample sentences in dictionaries.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for your corrections. I learned that a statement with a rising intonation could serve as a question. That's why I added a question mark at the end of that statement. Maybe that doesn't work in written English.
It's OK in casual spoken English but we never recommend it to learners in case they use it in formal/exam conditions, when it would be considered wrong.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Could you please give me some sample sentences? I am wondering how to use it but I've failed to find some any sample sentences in dictionaries.
When doing press ups, increase the number of reps each day until you reach 100.
I do star jumps every day. I can usually manage about 25 reps before I have to stop.
If you can do 15 to 20 reps of bicep curls with a 10kg dumbbell, you'll be doing well!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Have you no thought for us couch potatoes, emr2d2? Just reading your last post nearly gave me a heart attack.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
See 'Fitness Training' by Jim Nasium.

Status