Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
We know that grammatically 'As if' or 'As though' should invariably be followed by a past conditional , not by a present form , e.g.,

1) He behaves as if he were mad.

OR

2) It looks as if new men had sprung up.

Can I write 'He works as if he is drunk'?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]We[/STRIKE] I know that [STRIKE]grammatically[/STRIKE] 'As if' or 'As though' should [STRIKE]invariably[/STRIKE] be followed by a past conditional, not by a present form. [STRIKE]e.g.,[/STRIKE] For example:

1) He behaves as if he were mad.

[STRIKE]OR[/STRIKE]

2) It looks as if new men had sprung up.

Can I write 'He works as if he is drunk'?

Note my corrections above. Sentence 1 is correct and natural. I don't know what you mean by sentence 2. What are "new men" and how do they "spring up"?
Your third sentence (had you numbered that one as well) is grammatical but I have no idea what it means. Can you explain it a different way?

Barman

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Note my corrections above. Sentence 1 is correct and natural. I don't know what you mean by sentence 2. What are "new men" and how do they "spring up"?
Your third sentence (had you numbered that one as well) is grammatical but I have no idea what it means. Can you explain it a different way?

I am sorry. I have made a mistake. The third sentence will be - 'He walks as if he is drunk'. Is the sentence grammatically correct in the sense of construction? If the sentence is not correct, then can it be written as - 'He walks as if he were drunk'?

In the second sentence, I have tried to mean that men with new ideas had started to exist suddenly.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am sorry. I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] made a mistake. The third sentence [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] should be no dash here 'He walks as if he is drunk'. Is the sentence grammatically correct in the sense of construction? If the sentence is not correct, then can it be written as no dash here 'He walks as if he were drunk'?

In the second sentence, I [STRIKE]have tried[/STRIKE] wanted to mean that men with new ideas had started to exist suddenly.

Note my corrections above. "He walks as if he was/were drunk" are both OK.

What are "men with new ideas"? How can people "start to exist suddenly"?

Status
Not open for further replies.