Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

If ''Chips'' are called ''French Fries'' or ''Fries'' in American English why does the dictionary add ''British English'' in its definiton which I have marked?
In the first picture chips (BrE) and ''Fries'' ''French Fries'' in AmE. In the second picture ''Crisps'' or ''Potato crisps'' in BrE and in AmE ''Potato chips'' or ''chips''.
erer.jpgxx.PNGvbvbvbv.PNG

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The dictionary might be wrong. Is it an online dictionary? They're not all reliable. One that's good is Merriam-Webster.

US: fries, French fries = UK: chips.

US: chips, potato chips = UK: crisps.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The dictionary is saying that fry is British English as well as American English.

It's pretty hard to argue with that.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The dictionary is saying that fry is British English as well as American English.

It's pretty hard to argue with that.
New news is good news.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

When is it used to refer to ''French fries''? But don't you use ''chips'' to refer to ''French Fries''?

Last edited by a moderator:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I imagine some speakers of BrE have taken to referring to "fries" like Americans do. Probably because of Hollywood.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I think McDonalds has been a bigger influence. The staff refuse to accept the existence of the word 'chips'.

So US: fries, French fries = UK: chips or fries or French fries.

US: chips, potato chips = UK: crisps.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Would you be surprised, though, if you overheard a young English person at the next table in a cafe order "French fries"? It sounds like the term is acceptable at that Scottish restaurant, McD's; has it penetrated other areas of British food culture?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd expect people to order them in whatever way they're described on the menu. If the menu says "Burger and fries", that's what they'd order. If it says "Fish and chips", that's what they'd order.
Most people here don't bother with "French"; they just call them "fries".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd expect people to order them in whatever way they're described on the menu. If the menu says "Burger and fries", that's what they'd order. If it says "Fish and chips", that's what they'd order.
Most people here don't bother with "French"; they just call them "fries".
That makes sense. We follow the same practice here. "Fish and chips" is a pretty common menu item, and people will normally ask for them that way.

On the other hand, a restaurant here in town has fried breaded fish and French fries on the menu. They're not bad at all. But when I once ordered "fish and chips" there, I got that item -- plus a bag of potato chips. :-(

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
. . . On the other hand, a restaurant here in town has fried breaded fish and French fries on the menu. They're not bad at all. But when I once ordered "fish and chips" there, I got that item -- plus a bag of potato chips. :-(
Ow, ow, ow.

Come to Maine. Fish and chips heaven. We never get it wrong.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Fries are a specific kind of thing to us Brits. They're the thin ones that you find in fast food places like McDonald's, some kebab shops, and on the 'Continent'.

The traditional thicker-cut British-style ones, which you get in fish and chip shops, or which you cook at home in a chip pan, are only ever called chips. Those are what I first think of when I think of chips.

Although fries are commonly called chips, chips are never called fries (if you get what I mean). Brits never call fries 'French fries'.

Oh, and crisps are always called crisps, never chips. Apart from on the bag sometimes.

I hope that's cleared things up!

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

And a BrE woudn't call ''crips/potato crisps'' ''chips.'' Right?

Oh, thank you jutfrank I just read what you said ''Oh, and crisps are always called crisps, never chips. Apart from on the bag sometimes.'' But I didn't understand what the part in bold meant.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
''Although fries are commonly called chips, chips are never called fries (if you get what I mean). Brits never call fries 'French fries''. Then why does the dictionary give the following definition about ''chips'' (also French fry, fry North American English, British English)wthout adding that ''fries'' are sold in fast food places, while thicker -cut ones we cook at home or buy in fish and chip shops are called ''chips.'' Just as you did. Without reading your explanation and other answers in this thread it would be very difficult to understand the difference.

Although fries(the ones you find in fast food places like McDonald's, some kebab shops, and on the 'Continent' )are commonly called chips, chips(The traditional thicker-cut British-style ones, which you get in fish and chip shops, or which you cook at home in a chip pan,) are never called fries (if you get what I mean). Brits never call fries 'French fries'

I think I understand what you mean but I added your explanations. So ''fries'' ''not French fries'' we buy in fast food places are called ''chips'' in BrE. ''Chips'' which are sold in fish and chip shops or which you cook at home are never called ''fries.''

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
This forum has been more helpful than the books I have. For, example, the nuances regarding numbers and prices are not given in the books. I wrote down a ''scheme of usage'' based on the explanations I have read in this discussion.94882394_2584911118456937_4265368876771966976_n.jpg I hope I don't misunderstand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.