Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I am reading "Economic crisis and underdeveloped countries" and I have encountered the phrase "major crisis of accumulation" in this book. Here is the excerpt:

The revival in 1976 did not eliminate unemployment, and -according to the most authoritative political and economic spokespersons of the capital--it does not seem to eliminate it until the end of the 1970s; Until then, we can expect an even more severe recession than we've been through. In other words, despite the pious hopes of the political leadership and the predictions of its economic advisers, the world capitalist economy is again faced with a major crisis of accumulation.

What is the "major crisis of accumulation" in this context? Is accumulation the total amount of goods and services that are created in a capitalist economy? Thanks in advance.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I studied economics in my secondary school, but that was a long time ago, so I'm no expert, but perhaps the info in the following link might be what you're looking for.

tahasozgen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
The authors of the book are Ander Gunder Frank and Ernest Mandel.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Does anyone else find until then confusing? The book is written looking backwards, but this phrase isn't.