where was the European Union in the COVID-19 crisis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I am surprised to see that the author uses the past tense "was" while the COVID-19 cirisi is ongoing. What is the purpose of using "was" rather than "is"? "Was" sounds that presently EU may be working. I am not sure.

===================
richard horton
@richardhorton1
·
7h
I am a passionate European and ardently pro-EU, but we must ask: where was the European Union in the COVID-19 crisis? Absolutely nowhere. How desperately sad. https://bit.ly/361tKUH

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am surprised to see that the author uses the past tense "was" while the COVID-19 crisis is ongoing. What is the purpose of using "was" rather than "is"? "Was" makes it sound like the EU is working on it now. I am not sure.

===================
richard horton
@richardhorton1
·
7h
I am a passionate European and ardently pro-EU, but we must ask: where was the European Union in the COVID-19 crisis? Absolutely nowhere. How desperately sad. https://bit.ly/361tKUH
We can assume the writer is talking about the early weeks or months of the outbreak.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with GT. The crisis is ongoing, so the present perfect is the logical tense. If the author was thinking only about the early weeks of the crisis, he should have said so.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with GT. The crisis is ongoing, so the present perfect is the logical tense. If the author was thinking only about the early weeks of the crisis, he should have said so.
Could well be. Without seeing the whole article, I can't tell. So I gave Mr. Horton the benefit of the doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.