Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Would you please check the following and let me know if hard is correct or crunchy?

For example, put one piece of soft tortilla bread in a toaster and then warm/bake it up for 3 minutes.
You can let it warm up more depends on how much hard/crunchy you want it to be.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Would you please check the following and let me know if I should use "hard" [STRIKE]is correct[/STRIKE] or "crunchy"?

[STRIKE]For example,[/STRIKE] Put one [STRIKE]piece of[/STRIKE] soft tortilla [STRIKE]bread[/STRIKE] in a toaster and [STRIKE]then[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]warm/bake it up[/STRIKE] toast it for [STRIKE]3[/STRIKE] three minutes.

You can [STRIKE]let it warm up more[/STRIKE] toast it for longer. It depends on how much [STRIKE]hard/[/STRIKE] crunchy you want it to be.

See above.

In BrE at least, there's a problem with saying you want to use a toaster to warm or bake something. That's not what a toaster is for. The clue is in the name. It's to toast bread. That's it.
We don't say "a piece of soft tortilla bread". It's just "a soft tortilla".

In case we're talking about two different machines, this is a toaster:

Toaster.jpg

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
From the description of what that appliance does, I would say that they have misused "toaster" in the name. It appears to be an oven. If you're using that appliance, I would say "Put a soft tortilla in the oven and warm it for three minutes or longer (to taste)".

Even though the description says that it will turn the outside of a chicken brown and crispy, that doesn't mean it's toasting anything. In BrE, that would be roasting a chicken.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That type of appliance is a toaster oven in American English. It can toast bread and also works as a small oven. It would be a way to warm Mexican tortillas, but they're best warmed by placing them directly on a burner of your stove ("hob" in British English, I think) for a few seconds.

Note that a tortilla is a kind of omelet in Spanish Spanish.

Pink_Flower

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
they're best warmed by placing them directly on a burner of your stove ("hob" in British English, I think) for a few seconds.
I'll try this. I didn't know that. Thank you.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'll try this. I didn't know that. Thank you.

Reasonably fresh flour tortillas will develop bubbles as trapped air expands with the heat. A Mexican friend said her mother would ask "Who made these?" if the tortillas failed to rise.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As GS has pointed out, there are different varieties of Spanish just as there are different varieties of English. (Mexico and the United States have been borrowing words from each other for centuries. (Such loans are never paid back :) ))

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Anyhow, just to underscore what's been said, in the US that's not a toaster. It's a toaster oven.

And we love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.