Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"According to charges filed by the US federal prosecutors in New York, eight persons have been indicted for participating in two worldwide cyber attacks culminating into a huge $ 45 million being withdrawn fraudulently from ATMs across the world in a matter of few hours earlier this year."

My question regarding above sentence are

1. Is it correct use of "culminating into"? I think "culminate" is always followed by "in".

2. Can we rephrase the above sentence as below without changing the meaning?

"
According to charges filed by the US federal prosecutors in New York, eight persons have been indicted for participating in two worldwide cyber attacks culminating into a huge $ 45 million, which was withdrawn fraudulently from ATMs across the world in a matter of few hours earlier this year."

Please help me to answer above questions.
Thanks

The question about "culminating into" is hard. I am a native speaker, and it is not an obvious mistake.

You are right, "culminating in" is the typical use.

"Being withdrawn" is very typical usage. That is normal.

I hope this helps.

"According to charges filed by the US federal prosecutors in New York, eight persons have been indicted for participating in two worldwide cyber attacks culminating into a huge $ 45 million being withdrawn fraudulently from ATMs across the world in a matter of few hours earlier this year."

My question regarding above sentence are

1. Is it correct use of "culminating into"? I think "culminate" is always followed by "in".

2. Can we rephrase the above sentence as below without changing the meaning?

"
According to charges filed by the US federal prosecutors in New York, eight persons have been indicted for participating in two worldwide cyber attacks culminating into a huge $ 45 million, which was withdrawn fraudulently from ATMs across the world in a matter of few hours earlier this year."

Please help me to answer above questions.
Thanks

I would say "culminate into" is incorrect. It should be "culminate in".
You can't change "culminated in $45 million being withdrawn" into "culminated in $45 million, which was". The cyber attacks didn't culminate in $45 million. It culminated in the withdrawal of $45 million.

:up: And 'being withdrawn' is not just 'typical'. It's what the cyber attacks culminated in. Your rewording is not an alternative; it's just wrong.

(I've jsu realized that this is precisely what emsr2d2 said (;-)), but I've left mine as either alternative wording may get through better.)

b

Note to a_vee:

Advertising in posts, whether in a signature or elsewhere, breaches forum rules.

R21

Advertising in posts, whether in a signature or elsewhere, breaches forum rules.

For me, if someone contributes genuinely to the forum and includes a link, that's fair play. If they're just posting links, it's irritating and will get deleted. I'd go for a mutual back scratching as OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back