Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi.

What's the difference between the two, daftness and daffiness? Are they both in current use in English?

Jemima23

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Not a teacher.

First time hearing (or, rather, reading) the word daffiness. Had to look it up, but my original guess seemed to be correct.
I am familiar with the word daftness, but only through my favorite Scottish youtuber who uses the words daft and dafty to describe himself or his subscribers quite often.
I personally can not tell the difference between the two and it is not commonly used here (but seems to be popular with the Scots!).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not a teacher.

This is my f
irst time hearing (or, rather, reading) the word daffiness. I had to look it up, but my original guess seemed to be correct.
I am familiar with the word daftness, but only through my favorite Scottish YouTuber, who uses the words daft and dafty to describe himself or his subscribers quite often.
I personally can not cannot tell the difference between the two and it* is not commonly used here (but seems to be popular with the Scots!) no full stop here - the exclamation mark serves as the closing punctuation mark to the sentence
* What does "it" refer to - "daftness" or "daffiness"?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
'Daft' isn't used in AmE at all.

I don't think I've ever encountered 'daffy', aside from the character of Daffy Duck, whose name I have just now come to realize the source of.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think this is another BrE/AmE difference. As @Skrej said, we don't use the adjective daft in AmE. The related adjective daffy and the noun daffiness are used albeit not very commonly.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
'Divvy' is fairly common in AmE, but only in the verb sense of dividing something up for equal distribution. I've not encountered 'dippy' in AmE, personally.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You can add a div to the BrE lexicon for someone who is a bit of an idiot.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In my part of North America we can call somebody dippy who's a bit silly or goofy.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Also seen in the vulgar "dipsh*t," someone who is not very bright and sure to goof things up if given a task.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You can add a div to the BrE lexicon for someone who is a bit of an idiot.
We used "div" or "divvy" when I was at school. I don't think I've heard it for the last twenty years or so.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We used "div" or "divvy" when I was at school.

So did I. I think you might be moderately interested in these three competing explanations for the origin of the word:

div

Actually originates from prison slang in the UK. A job often given to the lowest inmates was to put cardboard dividers into boxes. Someone given this job was a 'divider' or a 'div'. Now used as an insult to those who display stupidity.

div

Div is a scouse word for idiot. It is short for divvy which in turn is a corruption of Deva. The Deva Hospital was a well known mental hospital (since renamed the West Cheshire Hospital) on the outskirts of Chester. Chester was founded by the Romans who named it Deva.

div

Derived from "individual needs child", a cruel schoolyard insult. Not at all politically correct.

All taken from here. I think the last is the most likely true origin.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We had the insult "sped" when I was a child. From SPecial EDucation students.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree that the very un-PC third explanation is quite likely. However, I would have thought that the term "individual needs" is a later invention. When I was at school, we used "special needs" or the even worse "educationally sub-normal"! There were schools specifically set up for children in those categories and they were always referred to as "special schools".
I'm sure I never heard "individual needs" when I was a schoolchild.

Note to learners: Do not use any of the terms we've been discussing!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
On a related note, I've always found it hilarious that when some people decided that retarded was an unacceptable epithet, the medical profession switched to delayed and apparently that was perfectly okay. The power of synonyms!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mnemon

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
All taken from here. I think the last is the most likely true origin.
Barely can Urban Dictionary be trusted. According to authoritative resources the term is of unknown origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.