Dangling modifier--Looking at today’s world, it is clear that we continue to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Human migration has not just involved taking over unused land. People have also invaded land occupied by other peoples through killing, displacing, or genetically mixing with the land’s existing inhabitants. Looking at today’s world, it is clear that we continue to do this. To sum up, migration seems to be a fundamental human instinct. (MUST WORDS 5600, JWbooks)

Is "looking at today's world" a dangling modifier in the sentence in bold? I think it is because the subject is "it," not we. But is it acceptable?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's perfectly fine by me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's clear enough to me, too. The opening equates to "As we look at today's world" and the sentence goes on to explain what is clear to us.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Looking at today’s world, it is clear that we continue to do this.

NOT A TEACHER

As the teachers told us, native speakers would have no problem with that sentence.

I understand, though, that some teachers of English in some countries insist on following the traditional rules. So maybe some teachers might want that sentence to be revised something like this: "Looking at today's world, we clearly continue to do this." ("Clearly," I feel, does not modify only the verb. It seems to mean "It is clear that" and refers to "we continue to do this.")

Status
Not open for further replies.