Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello,

Is the sentence below an example of a dangling participle? If so, is this grammatically correct?

Huge volumes of data are analyzed using AI, leading to a drastic improvement of public convenience.

I think this sentence should be:
Huge volumes of data are analyzed using AI, which leads to a drastic improvement of public convenience.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What is the source of the quoted sentence? Who wrote it?

giumao

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
This is an example I myself prepared as I have seen the cases on the internet where a participle phrase does not seem to modify the subject of the main clause, but the content of the main clause as a whole. Sorry but I cannot give you a quotation as I don't remember where I saw such examples.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Huge volumes of data are analyzed using AI, leading to a drastic improvement of public convenience.
That sentence is grammatical, but "improvement of public convenience" is unnatural.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, a "public convenience" is a public toilet. I have a feeling that's not what you're referring to.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No, there's no dangling participle.

I think the original sentence is fine as it is. You can interpret it as the whole of the first clause being the 'subject' of the the verb leading. In other words, it is the fact that huge volumes of data are analyzed using AI that leads to a drastic improvement in public convenience. It therefore has the same meaning as your alternative version.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

NOT A TEACHER

Giumao, if I understand my favorite grammarian, your sentence is a shorter way to say "Huge volumes of data are analyzed using AI, so that it leads to a drastic improvement of public convenience." He says that your kind of sentence involves a "so that" clause of pure result.

It can be abridged (shortened) to a participial clause like yours. Some speakers and writers like to add a "thus": "Huge volumes of data are analyzed using AI, thus leading to a drastic improvement of public convenience."

Here are the author's examples: "He mistook me for a friend, so that he caused me some embarrassment"; "He mistook me for a friend, thus causing me some embarrassment"; and "He mistook me for a friend, causing me some embarrassment."

Source: Dr. George Oliver Curme, A Grammar of the English Language (1931), Vol. II, page 293.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I have recently started to analyze such constructions as "reduced absolute constructions." The related "non-reduced absolute" here would be:

Huge volumes of data are analyzed using AI, this leading to a drastic improvement of public convenience.

The understood demonstrative pronoun in the reduced absolute stands for the entire propositional content of the main clause:

Huge volumes of data are analyzed using AI, [huge volumes of data('s) being analyzed using AI] leading to . . . .

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

Is the sentence below an example of a dangling participle? If so, is this grammatically correct?

I don't see a verb being used as an adjective (a.k.a. a participle), and I don't see an unintended meaning (evidence that a participle is dangling). The only confusing part is "of public convenience."

I think this sentence should be: Huge volumes of data are analyzed using AI, which leads to a drastic improvement of public convenience.

It's grammatical, but you need to rephrase "of public convenience."
I'm not a teacher, but I talk a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.