Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Have I made any mistakes?

David cooked so well that people used to say he could make his fortune in the restaurant business. He replied that that might be true, but running a restaurant took a lot of time, so what he would do with money but no spare time. He knew some people who had restaurants, and they hardly had time for themselves and their families.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Have I made any mistakes?

David cooked so well that people used to say he could make his fortune in the restaurant business. He replied that that might be true, but running a restaurant takes a lot of time, so what would he do with money but no spare time? He knew some people who had restaurants, and they hardly had time for themselves and their families.

It's OK.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
David cooked so well
I would much prefer something like:
David was such a skillful cook
or
David's cooking skills were so good

he could make [STRIKE]his[/STRIKE] a fortune in the restaurant business. He [STRIKE]replied[/STRIKE] accepted that, [STRIKE]that might be true,[/STRIKE] but to him, running a restaurant took a lot of time, so what [STRIKE]he would do with[/STRIKE] good would money be if that meant having [STRIKE]but[/STRIKE] no spare time. He knew [STRIKE]some people who had[/STRIKE] (several) restaurateurs [STRIKE]s, and they[/STRIKE] who hardly had time for themselves and their families.
Try that.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Running a restaurant took a lot of time.

That's past tense. I would only use that if it were not true anymore. Or, if applied to a specific person, that person is not in the restaurant business anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.