Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Osteopath is a doctor who treats people using different manual techniques. I've once applied to an osteopath and it was very good! Now I've decided to look up the definition of "osteopath" in my favorite Collins Cobuild dictionary:

"An osteopath is a person who treats painful conditions or illnesses by pressing and moving parts of the patient's body. "

Why do they use "the" instead of "a"? It seems that they aren't speaking about a particular patient, but about patients in general.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
An osteopath is a doctor who treats people using different manual techniques. I've once applied I once went to an osteopath and it was very good! Now I've I decided to look up the definition of "osteopath" in my favorite Collins Cobuild dictionary:

"An osteopath is a person who treats painful conditions or illnesses by pressing and moving parts of the patient's body. "

Why do they use "the" instead of "a"? It seems that they aren't speaking about a particular patient, but about patients in general.
In some contexts, both the indefinite and definite articles can work. For example:

The wolf is a predator that hunts small animals. ✅
A wolf is a predator that hunts small animals. ✅

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
"In some contexts, both the indefinite and definite articles can work. For example:

The wolf is a predator that hunts small animals. ✅
A wolf is a predator that hunts small animals. ✅"
OK, I see.

Please explain why we can say "The wolf ..." as we aren't speaking about a particular wolf, but about wolves in general. I suppose I previously ran across such situations when the article "the" was used in such cases, but I've not heard any explanation yet.

As an English learner I was taught that the article "a" is used when we're speaking about something in general. Here, however, the situation is different and contradicts this rule. I realize, of course, that you put articles according to intuition, but I'll be very happy if you try to explain :).

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Back to your question,
An osteopath is a person who treats painful conditions or illnesses by pressing and moving parts of the patient's body. "
You can use either.
- "The patient" would imply "the (particular/individual) patient being treated by the osteopath.
- "A patient" would imply "any patient". This is a more generic way of putting it.