Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Gujarati
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I am aware of the definition of "onlooker", and also know that it can be used for someone who is/was present on the site, but can it also be used to refer to someone who is/was an online spectator?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wouldn't use it that way. It really has the idea of someone physically looking at or watching something happening right in front of them.

Note that there was no need to capitalise "definition" or "onlooker" in your thread title.

utsavviradiya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Gujarati
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I wouldn't use it that way. It really has the idea of someone physically looking at or watching something happening right in front of them.

Note that there was no need to capitalise "definition" or "onlooker" in your thread title.
I didn't get what you are saying. Is it just you, or plainly wrong if anyone uses it that way?

Also, what do you think the usage of "onlookers" is for in the following screengrab? Online spectators or Offline spectators, I guess it's used for online ones. Sorry for this silly question, but just wanna double-check it. 😅

1678039337422.png

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Right now, I would say it's wrong. It's possible that, in the future, it might be used that way (given that watching things unfold online is becoming more and more popular/common).

utsavviradiya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Gujarati
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Right now, I would say it's wrong. It's possible that, in the future, it might be used that way (given that watching things unfold online is becoming more and more popular/common).
OK, got it. Actually, I was editing post #3 when you replied. Would you mind answering the newly added question in post #3?

utsavviradiya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Gujarati
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I edited the title.

As silly as it may sound, I really didn't understand the usage of "or". In my opinion, an "and" should have been used instead, as you implied that both words need not be capitalized.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When we use a negative ("there was no need" in this case), we use "or" instead of "and".

I eat apples and oranges.
I don't eat apples or oranges.

You needed to capitalise the second and fourth words.
You didn't need to capitalise the second or fourth words.

utsavviradiya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Gujarati
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
When we use a negative ("there was no need" in this case), we use "or" instead of "and".

I eat apples and oranges.
I don't eat apples or oranges.

You needed to capitalise the second and fourth words.
You didn't need to capitalise the second or fourth words.
Thanks. I got it now. It seems that you overlooked post #5.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Also, what do you think the usage of "onlookers" is for in the following screengrab?
It refers to people who followed the news of the fire. They weren't necessarily watching the fire, whether online or offline. The word "onlooker" isn't meant to be taken literally here, as someone who was actually physically looking at what was going on. In most cases they were just looking at the news reports.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK, got it. Actually, I was editing post #3 when you replied. Would you mind answering the newly added question in post #3?
This is exactly why we ask members not to edit posts once the thread is active. There was no reason for me to look back at post #3. I don't have a problem with that usage. People were looking at the entire situation unfold on TV and online. The people standing and staring at the actual fire burning were, in my opinion, proper onlookers.

Status
Not open for further replies.