Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
REt9tn5.jpg

a. You can delete the file from this directory.
b. You can delete the file in this directory.
---
Which is better?

"Delete the file from this directory" looks to me that I should find the file, move it somewhere else and then delete it, rather than delete it directly in the directory. I mean, "the file from this directory" seems that it is from there and now it is at another place, like in some context "I'm from the UK" means "I am now at some place besides the UK" (for example, when the person is in Taiwan and introducing
himself).

Perhaps it means something like "go to the garden from this door" which means you can do that by means of (going through) the door. So, "You can delete the file from this directory" means you can delete it by means of (getting into) the directory.

What do you think?

[Update]
A friend told me, "It means that when you click 'OK', the file will be deleted directly from the directory that it is located."

Last edited:

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
"Delete the file from this directory"
I'd take it to mean "Remove it from this directory (and save it somewhere else or delete it altogether)". Usually I'd expect to hear just "Delete this file". This sounds as if the speaker doesn't care if you keep the file or not; he just doesn't want it in that directory.

You can delete the file in this directory.
This sounds a more conventional sentence to me. This means "You can delete the file that is in this directory".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Are there other files in the directory? If so, I would use from.

Status
Not open for further replies.