Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Australia
Hello,

I am intrigued by a phrase I see commonly in Australia. There are several organizations that take care of some particular aspect of both countries, Australia and New Zealand.

For instance, ANZAC is how they commonly refer to the joint armed forces that went to WWI. It means "Australian and New Zealand Army Corps".

There are several class organizations that are called "Royal Australian and New Zealand College of (something)".

Well, while "Australian" is a demonym refering to an organization or a person from Australia, "New Zealand" is not. It's the actual name of the country. See what I mean? Would it be wrong to say "Australian and New ZealandER Army Corps" or "Royal Australian and New ZealandER College of (something)"? Or, why is it not "Australia and New Zealand Army Corps"?

If I reverse it and say "New Zealander and Australia Army Corps", would that be gramatically correct?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Well, while "Australian" is a demonym refering to an organization or a person from Australia, "New Zealand" is not. It's the actual name of the country.
'New Zealand' is used adjectivally.
See what I mean? Would it be wrong to say "Australian and New ZealandER Army Corps" or "Royal Australian and New ZealandER College of (something)"?
Yes.
Or, why is it not "Australia and New Zealand Army Corps"?
because for the adjectival form we use Australian.
If I reverse it and say "New Zealander and Australia Army Corps", would that be gramatically correct?
No.