Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi guys,

Does a person feel "ashamed" if someone passes a derogatory remarks against him. Do we need to say "He felt ashamed because of that derogatory remark being made"

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
No, there's no connection between someone making a derogatory remark against you and your feeling ashamed - unless you agree with the remark, and that the content of the remark is something that you feel ashamed about.
So, your sentence wouldn't be right in most circumstances.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Would it be right if 'he' is the Brazil football coach and the 'remark' is about the team's ignominious performance?

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
So what do you feel when someone passes a derogatory remark against you. what is that word?. Barb sorry for that(would) post. I wanted to write " Present simple" there not "Present perfect".Whenever I write any post with my phone it doesn't highlight the wrong words.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So what do you feel when someone passes a derogatory remark [strike]against[/strike] about you. What is that word? Barb, I'm sorry for that (would) post. I wanted to write "Present simple" there not "Present perfect". Whenever I write any post with my phone it doesn't highlight the wrong words.

Your phone won't know that you meant "present simple" rather than "present perfect". It checks for spelling errors. It's not psychic!

If someone says something derogatory about me, I ignore it. However, some people might feel upset, sad, angry, or any number of other things. However, "ashamed" should not be one of them. The person who should be ashamed is the person who made the comments - they did a nasty thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.