Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Serbia
Of course I agree with emsr2d2, but I want to go even further because it is even worse than "completely unnatural." It is also incorrect and confusing/misleading. The feeling I get from your use of "desirous," "desiring," and "desired" in your construction is a completely different definition of "desire" (lust).

Everyone keeps asking you to explain it using different words (thank you for finally doing so) because it's so wrong and unnatural that we are left having to guess at your intention between many possibilities.

Maybe you're saying the students want to join the Bachelor program.
Maybe you're trying to describe the students as filled with desire to join the Bachelor program.
Maybe you're saying the university or its professors want the students to join the Bachelor program.
Maybe you're describing something entirely different about the students or the situation.

Let's look at your sentences again. All of them are very wrong and unnatural, but additionally my closest guess for each is different!

- "The desiring students for BS programme." -- This sounds a little bit like the students want to join. But it's very wrong.
- "The desired students of BS programme." -- This sounds like the university wants the students to join. But it's wrong.
- "The desirous students of Bs Programme." -- This sounds like you're saying the students in the program are lustful. But it's wrong.

Since you're asking whether you can use "desire" with a similar sentence to get the meaning you want, I will point back to
emsr2d2 and Glizdka who already gave good answers for this. However, I can also show a couple sentences that are similar to what you wrote and are at least correct and clear. But you shouldn't use them because they're still unnatural.

- "The students desire to join the Bachelor program."
- "The students who desire to join the Bachelor program + [verb] + …." Note that this is an incomplete sentence. It is the same example Glizdka gave.

In both cases it would be much more natural to say "want."

Last edited:

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I can't really put my finger on it, but using the word desire or its inflections in this context sounds like something Starfire from Teen Titans would say. She's an alien who learned English as a second language, by kissing Robin (really!), so it's understandable she sounds... weird.

Perhaps willing will be a good replacement for your desiring/desired/desirous.

"The students willing to join the BS program can apply by clicking this link."

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Nadir, you still need to clarify what you mean by "BS program". Like others, "BS" means "bullsh*t"! I have looked through a full online list of degree acronyms/initialisms, and "BS" doesn't appear. The closest is "BSc" (Bachelor of Science). Is that what you're talking about?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word "willing" doesn't work for me there. It seems that you're making a point to separate them from the unwilling. Thus you have two groups -- those you could talk into it (the willing) and those you couldn't talk into it (the unwilling).

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
The word "willing" doesn't work for me there. It seems that you're making a point to separate them from the unwilling. Thus you have two groups -- those you could talk into it (the willing) and those you couldn't talk into it (the unwilling).
That's right. It's not what the OP meant. I give up. Why not use a simple want to or would like to?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Nadir, you still need to clarify what you mean by "BS program". Like others, "BS" means "bullsh*t"! I have looked through a full online list of degree acronyms/initialisms, and "BS" doesn't appear. The closest is "BSc" (Bachelor of Science). Is that what you're talking about?

BS is the common acronym for a Bachelor of Science in North America, or at least in the US.

Thus the old joke about college degrees and academia in general:
BS = bullsh*t
MS = more sh*t
PhD = piled higher and deeper

Status
Not open for further replies.