Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Finally, it's 2024! I have yet to make any resolutions. Maybe I should complete the resolutions I made last year first.:ROFLMAO: Last year, I hoped I could finish reading at least five books but unfortunately, I haven't finished any. I'm only halfway through one of the books. My second resolution was picking up Japanese study again, which I've successfully started and hope I can persist into next year.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Finally, it's 2024! I have yet to make any resolutions. Maybe I should complete accomplish the resolutions I made last year first.:ROFLMAO: Last year, I hoped I could finish reading at least five books, but unfortunately, I haven't finished any. I'm only halfway through one of the books. My second resolution was picking up Japanese study again, which I've successfully started and hope I can persist continue into next year.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Finally, it's 2024! I have yet to make any resolutions. Maybe I should complete (try to) keep the resolutions I made last year first.:ROFLMAO: Last year, [ 1] I had hoped I could finish reading at least five books but unfortunately, I haven't finished any. I'm only halfway through one of the books. My second resolution was picking up the study of Japanese study again, which I've successfully started and I hope I can persist with it into next year.
[ 1]: Note that a resolution is a commitment to do something; it is much stronger than mere hope. Thus, you might say there "One of my resolutions from last year was to finish reading ... etc".

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
[ 1]: Note that a resolution is a commitment to do something; it is much stronger than mere hope. Thus, you might say there "One of my resolutions from last year was to finish reading ... etc".
Does “I had hoped” suggest that I hoped something that last for a whole year?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo I don't know why you should use "had hoped" there. When you say you hoped something would happen that suggests that it didn't happen. If it had happened there would no reason to use "hoped". (See below.)

Abe: I hoped I would get to meet Mary while I was there.
Bob: Yes, I thought she would be there, but something came up at the last minute, and she wasn't able to make it.