Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Having a deeper understanding of a culture really help me learn a language better. I like watching stand-up comedy to learn English, but sometimes I don't get the humor. The speakers often draw on a lot of references from history, social issues or entertainment industries. It takes me some time to do research on them, but I think it's worth it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Having a deeper understanding of a culture really helps me learn a language. better. I like watching stand-up comedy to learn English, but sometimes I don't get the humor. The speakers often draw on a lot of references from history, social issues or entertainment. industries. It takes me some time to do research on them, but I think it's worth it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@Maybo I missed a correction. If you're watching stand-up comedy, you're not watching "speakers", you're watching "comedians".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo I agree with the corrections in post #2. Except for one. Give yourself a pat on the back. You're doing better and better.

I don't know if you can get in Hong Kong, but I get Dry Bar Comedy in my news feed on Facebook.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What do you mean? :)
You quoted one brief part of a post that's at least a day old. Do you expect me to have a perfect memory?

Nevertheless, it is gradually coming back to me. There is a hint in the word "better". A big one. 😊