Diary - Hong Kong experienced four seasons last month.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Hong Kong experienced four seasons last month. Some days, temperatures went up to 26°C, and some days they dropped to 5°C. This month, it's been cool; temperatures are around 16-21°C. I like cooler weather so that we don't need to use the AC. A few days ago, my mum happily showed me the electricity fee for the last two month which was only HK$95. I remember that we have subsidies for electricity but I forget how much it is. In the summer, the fee is around HK$2000.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Hong Kong experienced four seasons last month. Some days, temperatures went up to 26°C, and some days they dropped to 5°C. This month, it's been cool; temperatures are around 16-21°C. I like cooler weather so that as we don't need to use the AC. A few days ago, my mum happily showed me the electricity fee bill for the last two month which was only HK$95. I remember that we have subsidies for electricity but I forget have forgotten how much it is. In the summer, the fee our bill is around HK$2000.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's an improvement over your usual work. But don't forget that when you put a number in front of a noun that if the number is anything besides "one" the noun is plural. Thus it should be "two months". As Ted noted in post #2, we would normally use "bill" where you used "fee".

It would be natural for me to use "I forget" that way. As for temps, I might say, "Some days it gets as high as ABC, and some days it gets as low as XYZ. You left commas out in a couple of places where I would normally use them. That's it!

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think "forget" implies a habitual thing, so I changed that to the present perfect.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hong Kong experienced four seasons last month.
I'd make this a bit more descriptive and say "In December, Hong Kong experienced four seasons in one month!"
Some days, temperatures went up to 26°C, and some days they dropped to 5°C.
Temperatures ranged from 5°C to 26°C.
This month, it's been cool; temperatures are around 16-21°C.
So far, January has been fairly cool, with temperatures between 16 and 21.
I like cooler weather so that because we don't need to use the AC.
The way you wrote it suggests that you make a conscious decision to like cooler weather in order to avoid using the AC.
A few days ago, my mum happily showed me the electricity fee bill for the last two months, which was only HK$95.
It's an electricity bill in the UK. Take care with pluralising nouns.
I remember that know we have subsidies for electricity but I forget how much it is we get. In the summer, the fee bill is around HK$2000.
Whilst "I forget" is OK here (my grandfather would have used the present tense there instead of "I've forgotten" but most native speakers would say either "I've forgotten" or "I can't remember".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"I forget how much it (the subsidy) is" would be normal for me. However, so would "I forget how much we get". They are equally unremarkable.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Twins always come in pairs, don't they? Anyhow, that's how they start out.
@Tarheel. You've put this comment on the wrong thread. You need to delete it from this thread and add it to THIS one.