Diary - Last night, I dreamt of some of my friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Last night, I dreamt of some of my friends. I don't understand why I dreamt of them because I'm not close to them and even don't talk much to them. In my dreams, I always meet someone I'm not familiar with but I want to see my good friend more.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Last night, I dreamt of some of my friends. I don't understand why I dreamt of them because I'm not close to them and even don't talk much to them. In my dreams, I always meet someone I'm not familiar with, but I want to see my good friend more.
I would say "I'm not close to them and don't talk to them much" but that's not terrible.

That's an interesting dream. You dream about people you know but are not close to, and you don't want to get to know those people better. Hm.

A diary is you talking to yourself. You might want to ask your diary why you are having that dream. Then see what you dream next.🤔

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
In my dreams, I always meet someone I'm not familiar with but I want to see my good friend more.
Rephrase that.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Rephrase that.
In my dreams, I always meet someone I'm not familiar with. However, I want to see my good friend more.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
That's an interesting dream. You dream about people you know but are not close to, and you don't want to get to know those people better. Hm.
Get to know them in dreams?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Last night, I dreamt of some of my friends. I don't understand why I dreamt of them because I'm not they're not particularly close friends to them and even I don't even talk to them much. to them.

In my dreams, I always usually meet someone I'm not familiar with but I want to see my good friends more.
See above. It's odd to say they're your friends and then say you're not close to them. I've added "particularly" to make it clear that they're not your closest friends.
In the final sentence, you can't say that you "always" dream of people you don't know, when you have just told us that last night you dreamt of people you know!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Get to know them in dreams?
I think you said you don't want to get to know them better in real life. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

All of us know some people we are somewhat familiar with but we don't know them well enough to call them friends. We call those people acquaintances.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I think you said you don't want to get to know them better in real life. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

All of us know some people we are somewhat familiar with but we don't know them well enough to call them friends. We call those people acquaintances.
Isn’t my diary entry about my dream? :unsure: I didn’t mention real life.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Does “dream of” mean the thing I see in my dream while I’m sleeping?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Isn’t my diary entry about my dream? :unsure: I didn’t mention real life.
You said the dream was about people you know. Do I remember that wrong?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does “dream of” mean the thing I see in my dream while I’m sleeping?
It's the subject matter of your dream. For example, if I dreamed about Maybo, that would be the person in my dream.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As you can see from Tarheel's post #11, most of us use "about", not "of". Also, for info, we also use "dreamt" as well as "dreamed". If I had written your opening sentence, it would have said "Last night, I dreamt about some of my friends".

I tend to use "dream of" when talking about fantasising about a hypothetical situation. For example, "I dream of winning the lottery". I don't mean that it appears in my dreams but that I fantasise about winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.