Diary - Last night, my English teacher and I discussed AI robots.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Last night, my English teacher and I discussed AI robots. She introduced me to "uncanny valley", which mean people feel creepy when they see a human-like robot. I'm quite sure I would have the same feeling when I saw one. It's similar to the fact that when we have realistic dolls, some people might think the dolls could be possessed by evils. The robots are now scarier than the dolls because they not only look like humans but are also physically stronger. However, I know the days will come, and I will get used to it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What is "uncanny valley"? A TV show? A website? Something else?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
What is "uncanny valley"? A TV show? A website? Something else?
It is a term that describes the “eerie sensation” one feels when they encounter a robot with human-like characteristics. For more information.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It is a term that describes the “eerie sensation” one feels when they encounter a robot with human-like characteristics. For more information.
Interesting! However, despite the term having been coined in 1970, I've never heard it. I suspect many people will be unfamiliar with it. On that basis, I'd say "... introduced me to the concept of the "uncanny valley", a term that refers to an uneasy feeling ...".