Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Last night, I finished the last episode of the reality show Squid Game: The Challenge. It reminded me a scene of the original drama Squid Game in which the players thought they could finally enjoy some delicacies but what was waiting for them after the feast was they had to kill their opponents with the knife on the desk. I wasn't expecting that because it was too cruel! It felt like just felling from heaven to hell. While I was watching it, I asked myself, 'Would I have killed other players‘? No! Even thinking about it was terrible.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Look at "finally" this way: final + ly. It's something that happens after everything else. Your "finally" happens at the beginning.

(That's allI have time for it right now. Bedtime!)

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Last night, I finished watching the last episode of the reality show Squid Game: The Challenge. It reminded me of a scene of from the original drama Squid Game in which the players thought they could finally enjoy some delicacies, but what was waiting for them after the feast was they had to kill their opponents with the a knife on the desk. I wasn't expecting that because it was too cruel! It felt like just felling falling from heaven to hell. While I was watching it, I asked myself, 'Would I have killed other players‘? No! Even thinking about it was terrible.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Use "finally" to express relief or annoyance. Or both.

Sally: Bob! You finally got here! What took you so long?
Ron: I waited and waited and waited for the bus. Finally it came.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Last night, I finished watched the last episode of the reality show Squid Game: The Challenge.
Say "finished the last episode" only if you started watching it at some other time, stopped, then watched the rest of it. You either "watched the last episode" or simply "finished watching Squid Game: The Challenge". Remember to put TV show titles in italics (or in quotation marks).
It reminded me of a scene of in the original drama Squid Game in which the players thought they could were finally about to enjoy some delicacies delicious food but, what was waiting for them after the feast, was they had to kill their opponents with the knife on the desk*.
*Are you sure you mean "desk"? I would expect a feast to be laid out on a table.
I wasn't expecting that because it was too very/extremely cruel!
As a learner, don't use "too" to mean "very".
It felt like just felling from heaven to hell.
I don't know what you mean by this. Maybe you're aiming for something like "The show suddenly went from the sublime to the ridiculous!"
While I was watching it, I asked myself no comma here 'Would I have killed other players?' No! Even thinking about it was terrible.
Do you mean while you were watching the original show or while you were watching the final episode of the recent game show? It's not clear.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I don't know what you mean by this. Maybe you're aiming for something like "The show suddenly went from the sublime to the ridiculous!"
They just had their feast, and the next moment they were given a knife to kill their opponents. Therefore, it was like falling from heaven to hell.
Do you mean while you were watching the original show or while you were watching the final episode of the recent game show? It's not clear.
The original show.
*Are you sure you mean "desk"? I would expect a feast to be laid out on a table.
It was a table.

Last edited:

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Did I use this 'Would I have killed other players?' correctly? I was thinking "if I were one of the players in that drama, would I have killed other players". I'm not sure if I should say "Would I kill other players?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
They had just had their feast, and the next moment they were given a knife to kill their opponents. Therefore, it was like falling from heaven to hell.
I understand the concept but I still don't like the phrase there.
Also, you said the knife was on the desk/table. If that's the case, they weren't then "given a knife". Was the knife there already or did someone put it there later?
The original show.
You need to make that clearer.
It was a table.
I thought so.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I understand the concept but I still don't like the phrase there.
Also, you said the knife was on the desk/table. If that's the case, they weren't then "given a knife". Was the knife there already or did someone put it there later?
I remember the guards prepared three knives on the table for each player for the feast (I don’t remember the exact number). When they finished eating the food, the guards took away the three knives and put one back onto the table for each player. When the players left the table, they took away the knives.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's a strange game. Is there supposed to be violence in involved? (I hope not.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's a strange game. Is there supposed to be violence in involved? (I hope not.)
Squid Game (the original TV series) is pretty much violence personified. I suspect it's not your kind of thing! Basically, 455 cash-strapped people are invited to play a series of games (misleadingly referred to as children's games). What they're not told is that losing a game results in death. There's a huge cash prize at the end - for the one person who actually survives.